[sustran] World Transport Policy and Practice Electronic Edition

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Oct 25 17:13:37 JST 1999

Dear Walter, Paul and Todd,

If you go to http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp you will see the revised (though
still not quite finished) home page of the new World Transport Policy and
Practice Electronic Edition- and there, right up top, you will note that we
have put direct hot links to you three most worthy Web sites.

To make a long story short, the idea is to find ways to combine and put to
work for the common cause the cumulative expertise, vision and energy of the
independent leading edge of thinking and counsel.  As John Whitelegg and I
have been discussing the Journal and its future over these last months, the
idea of such closer associations and creative interaction has been one of
the concepts to which we have been giving particular attention.

Here is one idea, for example.  Since the Journal now is pretty well
established and recognized internationally, it gives us a print outlet of
which perhaps we could be making more varied and better use. One wrinkle on
the usual journal approach has been our development thus far of the first
two Special Issues... a formula which we would certainly like to extend and
develop.

But what about this as an idea?  Special issues in which are in effect joint
projects with you and your groups?  An issue in which the lead is taken by
Sustran (or VTI or ITDP), each of which defines a specific theme and from
that develops a group of articles by strong articulate authors who you think
are the best ones to make the points you wish to see stressed. Of course
this is a fully collaborative effort and the strategic framework and game
plan will need to be hammered out carefully in each case, but I for one
think that this is a terrific idea and opportunity.

I am not quite sure where John is in his other plans for the next year or
so, but we have for instance been speaking about special issues oriented
around the themes of (i) Parking Policy as a Sine Quo Non for a Sustainable
City, (ii) "Deep Logistics" as a Tool for Sustainable Freight Transport...
(rough working titles). But it strikes me that the idea of Joint Issues with
groups such as each of yours could really be most useful all around.

So let me leave it at that for this morning. I look forward with real
interest to hearing from you on this, and of course your critical remarks
and suggestions on our site will be more than welcome.

 With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

ecopl at n ___  technology, economy, society  ___
ecoplan at cybercable.fr           URL www.ecoplan.org
Tel: +331.4326.1323 Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
Fax/voicemail hotline: In Europe +331 5301 2896
Fax/voicemail hotline: In North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)