[sustran] Public opinion about Bangkok's elevated rail

John Ernst johnernst at compuserve.com
Wed Nov 3 00:54:36 JST 1999

Bangkok's  "skytrain" elevated rails system is to start operation on
December 5.  The system is limited in coverage and requires a lot of
stair-climbing -- Most stations are 3-4 stories above ground with only a
few esclators included.  Does anyone have an update on the status of
elevators for providing wheelchair access?

Regardless, the system is Bangkok's first purpose-built public transport
right-of-way, and it's generating a lot of discussion.  Fare has been the
biggest issue, though it appears it will be a distance based fare of
between 10 and 45 baht.  The public was hoping for a 15-baht flat fare
(note:  currently about 38 baht / US dollar).

Yesterday's (1 Nov) issue of the Bangkok Post interviewed a few residents
and produced some typical responses.  Some from clearly seasoned
Bangkokians -- like the college student who doesn't mind having to leave
home at 5:45am to avoid traffic.

I've quoted some of these below for those who are interested.  The full
article available at
<http://www.bangkokpost.net/011199/011199_Outlook01.html>

A 25 year old employee-
"I definitely can't use it for everyday commuting. An air-con bus from
my house to my office is only eight baht. In a rush, I would rather use a
taxi, it's faster and more convenient. And I don't have to climb those
steep stairs."

36 year old DJ:
"I would definitely use the skytrain because I will know exactly when I
will arrive at my destination. ... Motorcycle taxis are fast but dangerous."

19-year old university student:
"So why take the skytrain when a single bus will be easier? Speed? I
don't think so. I don't have to rush that much.
Now, I go to college in the morning by van which picks me up at home and
takes only 45 minutes to Chula. Though I have to leave home at 5:45 a.m. to
avoid bad traffic, it's 30 baht, takes 45 minutes and I get a
comfy seat! A fair deal I think!"

44-year old managing director:
"The skytrain doesn't suit my daily routine; I leave home with a lot of
bags-my exercise bag, my personal belongings, work which I take home and
props for my job. Then I have to get to the top of the soi from my
house, then along another road to the office. Also, the network doesn't
cover all the places I have to go for work.
...I would like to see lifts at every station; it's quite a climb for
people my age. My husband won't use if it there aren't lifts."

26-year old employee:
"Fine, you may save 60 minutes to travel the (24-kilometre) distance,
but it costs 40 baht! It's nearly half the minimum wage (at 165 baht for
eight hour day).
The route does not go directly from my house to the office, and I would
have to pay for other transport too. Simply put, I don't think I can
afford it."

John Ernst, Urban Transport Ecologist
SUSTRAN - Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific
ITDP - Institute for Transport and Development Policy

8 Sukhumvit Soi 49/9    Bangkok 10110    THAILAND
tel:  +66(1) 813-1819    fax:  +1(801) 365-5914