[sustran] [sustran] Re: Driving Forces-parking costs

John Ernst JohnErnst at csi.com
Mon Jun 28 23:07:06 JST 1999

Thanks, Walter, for giving us more info on Dunn's "Driving Forces" book.
I'd also be reluctant to concede Dunn's argument that parking lots in
private shopping centers are not a subsidy to drivers.

Bangkok provides an example.  The government requires buildings to include
parking.  Because of the high water table, most parking lots are
constructed above ground in what could be prime commercial space.  The
newer underground lots require heavy sealing and pumping capacity.  Both
types are clearly an expensive undertaking.

However, these parking spaces typically cost users less than US$1 per
half-day.  Many are free.  So the difference is paid through prices on
merchandise -- or hotel rooms, office services, etc -- which are the same
for everyone regardless of what mode they use.  So there's an effective
parking subsidy paid by non-drivers to drivers through the identical
pricing.

Calculating the dollar value would be interesting, but perhaps not the
point.  Throughout Asia, parking is just one of the many conveniences
extended to those in private cars.  They also have shorter distances to
walk, over better tended terrain, often shielded from sun or rain by a roof
or a doorman's umbrella.  All of these are not offered to those in public
transit or on bicycles.  The higher prices paid to subsidize parking spaces
just adds to the injury.

On a more positive note, shopping centers sometimes assist public transit.
The North EDSA ShoeMart mall in Manila at least provides loading areas for
the FX paratransit vehicles in part of their huge, free parking lot.

John

! - PLEASE NOTE new e-mail address:  johnernst at csi.com
John Ernst
Urban Transport Ecologist