[sustran] [sustran] access for the dis(differently) abled

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Tue Jun 22 12:54:09 JST 1999

Some good news from Monday's demonstration in Bangkok. Also more
suggestions for follow-up.
Paul

Subject: BOUNCE sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org:    Non-member submission
from [san.unescap at un.org]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:13:26 -0400
To: .....long recipient list suppressed
Subject: sustran access for dis(differently) abled persons

     Dear Mr John Whitelegg,

     I am grateful to Paul Barter for linking us up and generating so
     quickly support for Topong and other Thai disabled persons today.

     Thank you for your response and the information on the two new MPs.

     I have just spoken with Topong who informed me that the Royal Thai
     Government has agreed to share with the Bangkok Metropolitan
     Administration (BMA) the cost of introducing access in five new
     stations by 5 December 1999 so that Thai persons with disabilities
     will be able to join in the inauguration of the new mass transit
     system on that day.  I am sure that Topong will send more details
     himself when he has recovered.

     I have further encouraged Topong to write up his experiences since the
     very beginning.  This would be one contribution to the proposed WTPP
     edition.  Topong has a video tape of today's demo.  There is also an
     earlier video of a demo for the same purpose held in 1994.

     There are altogether 23 new stations in the Bangkok system. Today's
     government agreement on cost sharing (to enable the BMA to honour an
     earlier agreement concerning the introduction of access in five
     stations) is only a beginning.  We need to find various ways of
     encouraging timely government decisions on access provisions at the
     planning stage.  For those already building new or renovating existing
     mass transit systems, somewhat different strategies may be needed.

     What are the arguments for and against, the options and the strategies
     that have worked?  Under what circumstances were those strategies
     effective?  What are the experiences of failure and success in
     promoting transport access?  For those engaged in advocacy on this
     issue, this type of information is vital.

     We also need to introduce transport access as a key issue in forums on
     infrastructure development attended by hard-nosed decision-makers,
     especially to influence both public and private sector decisions in
     the developing countries.  I recall the Kuala Lumpur (KL) experience
     in which the private sector entity  refused to introduce access to the
     system it was building, while the government officials were supportive
     of the transport access issue and the efforts made by disabled persons
     to convince the private sector to change.  Paul Barter has access to a
     key disabled person, Christine Lee Soon Kup, who had been involved in
     the KL experience.  So another possibility of a paper from KL.

     Concerning more information from this part of the world, you might
     approach Mr. Mike J. Legge, Section Engineering Manager (Building
     Design), MTR Corporation, Hong Kong SAR, China, for a case-study on
     the Hong Kong SAR experience, which has some very useful lessons for
     transport decision-makers in the Asia-Pacific region.  Mr Legge has an
     interesting story to share; his email is: mike at mtrcorp.com

     The Transport, Communications, Tourism and Infrastructure Development
     Division of ESCAP had taken a first step on this in 1997 when it
     agreed to a proposal from the Social Development Division (also in
     ESCAP) to introduce the issue of public transport access for the first
     time at ESCAP's intergovernmental legislative committee forum on
     transport matters.  However, far more needs to be done to mainstream
     this issue into infrastructure development policy, planning and
     programming assistance by inter-governmental bodies.

     Yes, the attention of the World Bank, as also that of the regional
     banks, should indeed be drawn to the issue of transport access and the
     needs of transport disadvantaged persons.  With Kalle Konkkola of the
     National Council on Disability, Helsinki, I hope to be able to make an
     attempt with the Asian Development Bank in the very near future.

     Yes, I agree with Eric Britton, there is an urgent need for a special
     millennium WTPP edition - on the right to accessible public transport!

     Looking forward to the edition,

     Best wishes,

     San Yuenwah (ms, family name: san)
     Disability programme/Disadvantaged Groups Section
     Social Development Division
     United Nations
     Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
     Rajdamnern Avenue, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
     san.unescap at un.org
     http://www.unescap.org/decade (ESCAP homepage on the Asian and Pacific
     Decade of Disabled Persons, 1993-2002: Full Participation and
     Equality)

....<previous stuff snipped>....