[sustran] Appeal for help from disabled people in Bangkok

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Sat Jun 19 10:18:09 JST 1999

Dear sustran-discussers,  Can anyone provide any help or information for
our friends in Bangkok?

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501,  Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
Tel/Fax: +60 3 2742590,  E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my
Web: http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2853/

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Subject:	Re: Looking for statistics on PWD's.
Author:	Topong Kulkhanchit <handipro at loxinfo.co.th> at Internet
Date:	17/6/99 14:56

We, disabled people in Thailand are facing with challenge from Bangkok
Metropolitan Administration (BMA) , because of the many broken promises.
On December 5, 1999  the "Bangkok Sky train” the frist mass transit
system in Thailand will be inaugerated and start operation,
unfortunately without accessibility for any handicapped passengers
including disabled people. The usual public transportation, such as bus,
train, even taxi have not been accessible for us already.  DPI-Thailand
or the National Council of the Disabled of Thailand and many other
ncerning organizations have been asking for street level elevator access
since 1 3, the beginning of construction. While BMA Governor Krissada
Arunwong declined todo so.

New Governor Bichit Rattakul took officer in 1996 and acknowledged
because of lackof vision caused improper contraction and foresight in
design. On November 27, 1995; mass rally of over 400 PWDs was luanched
in the City of Bangkok which targete to Bangkok City Hall, Government
HQ, Ministry of Interior and residence of the Prim Minister to demand
accessible facility in the controversial Skytrain. Immediate tion was
taken by the Ministry of Interion when an urgent meeting was called upo
with the combination of representative of all concerns. Negotiation was
made during the meeting and DPI-Thailand representative stepped backward
by accepting lift installation at only 5 out of 23 stations with a
condition that completion must be at the first day of official service
(December 5, 1999).  At this moment, with only 5 months remains
installation process has not been initiated yet. We are informed the
uncertainty if the five station will be ready or not.

Use of sky walks to adjacent privately owned buildings such as shopping
malls is introduced by the authority instead of lifts.  Whether or not
these buildings are accessible for the disabled or elderly because of
stairs or steps, or whether or not these buildings are open during the
full operating schedule of the “Sky train”, was no taken into
consideration.

When groups of disabled people ask city officials why the promised
access, however limited, is not going to be available, these officials hide
behind vague answers and “bureaucratic”.

We, Thai citizens with various disablilities would like very much,
indeed, to hear critics from our friends worldwide : “What can we do, and
what can you do, to have the Governor of Bangkok and/or the Government
make good on their promises, and make a public facility truly accessible
to the all of the public”.  All the elderly, pragnants, small kids in
Thailand will join us to celebrate "equalization of opportunity and full
participation".

Please send your idea(s) to e-mail addresses below :
Thai newspapers
webmaster at thairath.co.th
Info at Dailynews.co.th
Webmaster at Khaosodusa.com