[sustran] Health effects of traffic on occupants!!

Roland Sapsford roland at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Apr 17 05:45:13 JST 1999

Hi

I have been asked by a group of public health students for information
on the way:

(i) driving affects health, as compared with other modes of travel (eg
stress, heart disease, peace of mind) in the short and long term.
(ii) construction of new roads and induced traffic has affected the
health issues in (i) above.
(iii) new roads designed to speed up traffic flow have affected the way
drivers perceive pedestrians etc who must now cross the road (social or
ethical 'health')

Most info sources are usually focussed on effects on others of driving.
I'd be very grateful if anyone can help in this area.

Best wishes
Roland Sapsford
Wellington, New Zealand