[sustran] Marketing as a TDM tool.

driddell driddell at ing.sun.ac.za
Mon Sep 28 22:48:31 JST 1998

Dear fellow SUSTRAN subscribers

A vague thought which has been drifting around in my mind for some time was
recently focused by a presentation at the CODATU VIII conference.  I am
interested to find out what, if any research and applications of the though
may be written up.

The following three points come to mind:

It appears that there is a lack of involvement of psychologists and
sociologists in the transport planning field, especially as a great deal of
transport planning is based entirely on models of human behaviour patterns.

There is inadequate use of the media, primarily in the form of advertising,
to influence peoples choices with regard to travel.  I believe that there is
a need to attack the problems created by the excessive use of private
vehicles by modifying peoples expectations and aspirations.  Large
commercial concerns use extensive marketing campaigns to sell their
products, the tobacco industry being a particular case in point.  I would
imagine that if clever marketing can sell "pet rocks" and cancer inducing
cigarettes, then encouraging the use of public transport should not be so
very difficult.

The media approach requires the involvement of psychologists and
sociologists in transport planning and TDM in particular.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wayne Duff-Riddell
Institute for Transport Technology
University of Stellenbosch