[sustran] Public transport vehicle, replacement cycles.

driddell driddell at ing.sun.ac.za
Thu Oct 22 23:00:28 JST 1998

 Dear colleagues

 I am investigating the economic optimisation of public
 transport planning, subject to prescribed "customer" service
 levels.  These service levels include the usual internal
 issues as well as external issues like pollution, subsidies,
 congestion control and so on.  My present question relates to
 vehicle replacement.  My perception of the matter is as follows:

 Public transport vehicles, (buses, trains, aeroplanes, etc,)
 are subject to wear and tear like any other form of
 machinery.  Over time, vehicles will require increasingly
 more maintenance, which will cost increasingly more money and
 reduce their productive time.  These are standard components
 of economic vehicle replacement cycle analysis.

 In public transport, in addition to the maintenance cost and
 productive time factors, there is also a question of
 perceived utility, measured in terms of the vehicles age,
 condition, appearance and other attributes, such as noise,
 ride comfort,  safety, and so on.  The implication of this is
 that a major refurbishment of  vehicles may not offer the
 same benefit as say, refurbishing a refuse disposal truck.

 Can anyone give me references for work done in evaluating the
 influence of user, and potential user, perceptions of public
 transport vehicles on the determination of replacement cycles?

 Thanks

 Wayne Duff-Riddell
 Institute for Transport Technology
 University of Stellenbosch