[sustran] fwd: Thai Campus transportation plan

Paul Barter tkpb at barter.pc.my
Fri Nov 6 19:29:36 JST 1998

Dear Dr. Sompong Sirisoponsilp

I am taking the liberty of forwarding your request for help to the
sustran-discuss list, an email discussion list that focusses on urban
transport in developing countries, especially Asia. I hope someone on
sustran-discuss may be knowledgeable about the Bangkok situation and may
have some suggestions. If you would like to join the list, please contact
me or visit our web site.

I am very happy to hear about your project.  I had a strange experience at
the Chulalongkorn University Campus several years ago.  A friend who worked
on campus and lived in the staff quarters about 500 metres away on the
other side of a busy road actually drove to work everyday!!!  She found the
ordeal of walking through the noise/pollution and the danger of crossing
the road such an ordeal that she preferred to spend 20 minutes or more in
her car. The car trip involved travelling about 2 or 3 km because she had
to drive some distance to reach a place to make a U-turn. To me this
suggests that your study may need to examine the pedestrian (and public
transport) environment in the surrounds of the campus and not just inside
it.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501
50748 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Phone: +603 274 2590 (or fax on request)
E-mail: <sustran at po.jaring.my> or <tkpb at barter.pc.my> (personal)