[sustran] Definition of Transportation Sustainability

Marty Bernard stncar at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 11 07:12:48 JST 1998

The other day in a post somewhere Bob Noland of US EPA gave a
definition of a sustainable transportation system.  It probably isn’t a
new definition.  He basically said (in my words) that:

A sustainable transportation system consumes only renewable energy and
all components are recycled.  Only renewable energy is used for the
manufacturer, construction, and recycling of vehicles, facilities to
make vehicles and components, recycling facilities, infrastructure, and
system operation and maintenance.

This definition sets a clear, very high, benchmark.  It’s a global
benchmark.  We have a long way to go to reach it.  The first question
is how much time do we have?

Marty

--
Marty Bernard
Oakland, California

To find out about a new form of personal urban transportation
please visit the Information Pages of the National Station Car
Association at http://www.stncar.com which are updated periodically.