[sustran] Bicycles - Improving the image

Obwon ob110ob at IDT.NET
Sat Apr 18 09:00:19 JST 1998

J.H. Crawford wrote:

> We're treading on contentious turf here, so let me start by
> saying what I think about bicycles PERSONALLY.

[...]

 I can agree we need more and better studies done to see how street
space can be apportioned more fairly.  We also need better mass transit
routing designs.  I am, for instance, in complete disagreement with
route designs which attempt to get busses, for example, into every nook
and cranny of a neighborhood in an attempt to garner more fares. I'm
vexed to no end when I see some of the tortorous routing designs taking
busses up narrow, local neighborhood streets blowing heat and pollution
there while stalled and blocking the thoroughfare because they're too
big to maneuver easily.

  Meanwhile, this 'cover all bases' approach as well as viewing jitney's
as competitors rather that 'feeders' makes transportation offers
dramatically vexing to all.  The passenger already on board is plagued
by too many stops that are of little or no use to them, but waste their
time simply to collect more fares on already overcrowded busses.  When
jitney's as feeders could easily make it more efficient to have bus
stops placed further apart, thus speeding such trips as well as allowing
busses to operate more efficiently thus lowering their polutive effects.

  In this coming age of information technology, people have even more
need for exercise for their health and so a variety of hpv's which could
provide opportunites for such exercise, lower pollution and still
provide short distance transportation as well as employment, go
unexamined, while people pay several hundereds of dollars per year to
effectively 'waste' energy in a gym; for exercise, that could just as
easily be expended solving some of their own tranportation problems
motorlessly.

  Obwon