[sustran] 1) Motorised 2 wheelers 2)Hong Kong

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 15 23:29:20 JST 1998

This comment addresses a couple of the latest postings on this
subject. I do not have the emissions data handy for the type
of motorcycles used in the Phillipines, but they are most likely
2 stroke engines of obsolete design, thus they have two strokes
(pardon the pun) against them. They probably are very serious
polluters, especially of unburned and partially burnt fuel, relative
to their size and weight. If I recall where I have seen estimates of
emissions for such vehicles, I will post it. It can probably be
estimated by looking at data for 1970s or early 1980s designs
of low powered two stroke engines sold in Europe and North
America.

Four stroke motorcycles, or even carefully designed two stroke
motorcycles, could drastically improve the pollution level, but
like I mentioned before, these cost more and thus the difficulty.
Also, regardless of design, the continual intermittent use of these
vehicles all day creates extra pollution, as engines burn very
uncleanly when the engine is not at operating speed.  This is a
major flaw with any kind of personal motorized transportation.

Eric