[sustran] Re[2]: Transportation demand management at Heathrow Airport

Paul Barter barter at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 18:52:15 JST 1997

For some reason the majordomo software intercepted this one. So I am
reposting it.
Paul Barter.

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 97 10:01:29 gmt
From: "Tom Rye" <t.rye at napier.ac.uk>
To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Subject: Re[2]: Transportation demand management at Heathrow Airport

     Dear John Whitelegg

     I agree wholeheartedly with what you say about BAA, car parking and
     T5.  Certainly, if there was a strategy in place to limit the demand
     for un-sustainable air transport then there would be much less need to
     worry about surface public transport access for passengers and staff.

     Also, I think it's unlikely that BAA would be quite as enthusiastic
     about TDM if they didn't have image problems associated with traffic
     impact, in particular in relation to the proposed new terminal.
     However they are nonetheless a good example of TDM, in that in the
     main I think it is those employers who have some non-altruistic
     motivation for TDM who tend to be the most active in its
     implementation.

     Best wishes

     Tom Rye