[sustran] motorcycles

pilo at sdg.co.uk pilo at sdg.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 19:10:48 JST 1997

     Cars, motorcycles and pedal cycles.

     This is a very interesting issue. And you are right, policy
     developments in this field are limited.

     We all like bicycles and my feeling is that most motorbikes are only a
     bit more than a motorised bicycle. They use road and parking space
     more efficiently than cars (albeit less efficiently than bikes). But
     on a motorbike you share space with others in a way you fail to do in
     a car. A car creates its own, protected, cocoon.

     In terms of conviviality the ranking is walk, bicycle, motorcycle,
     jitney, bus, car. My guess is that in terms of use of roadspace the
     ranking is probably the same.

     The problem issues are safety, air and noise pollution and perhaps
     fuel consumption as well.

     If the choice is many cars or many motorbikes I prefer motorbikes.
     However, this is not the choice. One will find many more lobbyists for
     cars than for motorbikes. And pressure to build roads for cars rather
     than bike/motorbike lanes.

     Many Asian countries seem to be bypassing public transport altogether.
     Walking and bicycles are replaced by motorbikes which in turn are
     being replaced by cars. In terms of urban density and structure
     motorcycles would tend to generate a pattern perhaps more akin to that
     generated by cars than by public transport.

     Pollution is a problem. Catalytic converters for four stroke engines
     have already been developed and can be fitted, albeit at a cost. Two
     stroke engines can be made more efficient and less polluting too.

     I cannot help feeling that we still have to do more thinking on
     policies for motorbikes. Good for SUSTRAN.

     Luis Willumsen
     Director                                          email:
     willul at sdg.co.uk
     Steer Davies Gleave Consultants
     32 Upper Ground
     London SW1 9PD
     United Kingdom
     Tel: +44 (0)171 919 8500          Fax: +44(0)171 827 9850/1/2 For
     general info: sdginfo at sdg.co.uk
     or see us at Web Site http://www.sdg.co.uk