[CML 048262] More Than 1.1 Million Sign Petition Supporting Impeachment of Trump

りょうこ baffydct at gmail.com
2017年 5月 26日 (金) 12:17:30 JST

More Than 1.1 Million Sign Petition Supporting Impeachment of Trump
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/5/24/more_than_11_million_sign_petition

On Tuesday, former CIA Director John Brennan testified to the House
Intelligence Committee that he had growing concerns last year that Trump’s
campaign may be colluding with Russian officials to influence the 2016
election—and that the Russians might lead Trump officials down a
"treasonous path." Trump has now hired a lawyer to represent him in the
ongoing investigation, which has sparked mounting calls for Trump’s
impeachment. For more, we speak with John Bonifaz, co-founder and president
of Free Speech for People, one of the organizations that launched the
"Impeach Donald Trump Now" campaign just moments after Trump’s inauguration.
------------------------------
Transcript
This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

*AMY GOODMAN:* John Bonifaz is also with us, Free Speech for People. John,
you came on *Democracy Now!* like within a week of the inauguration,
calling for the impeachment of Donald Trump. How have things changed? You
focused on violations of the Emoluments Clause at the time. Explain what
your concern was with that. And is that still what you feel is grounds for
impeachment?

*JOHN BONIFAZ:* Amy, thank you for having me. I’m honored to be on with
Congressman Green and with you this morning.

We have launched this campaign with RootsAction on the day of the
inauguration at ImpeachDonaldTrumpNow.org
<https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/>. More than 1 million people all across
the country have called for this impeachment investigation in light of the
president’s direct and ongoing violations of the anticorruption clauses of
the Constitution. His refusal to divest fully from his business interests
placed him on a collision course with the Constitution from the day he took
the oath of office. But we have since expanded the grounds for our call for
an impeachment investigation to include obstruction of justice, in light of
the shocking revelations that the president fired the FBI director to try
to stop a criminal investigation that may incriminate him as well as other
associates in his campaign.

Congressman Green is an American hero. He’s standing up for our
Constitution and our democracy at this critical moment in our history. And
we’re urging people all across the country to join us at
ImpeachDonaldTrumpNow.org <https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/>, to stand
with him and to make sure that this president be held accountable via the
impeachment process.

*AMY GOODMAN:* So how does this move forward right now, John Bonifaz?

*JOHN BONIFAZ:* I think it’s incumbent upon all of us all around the nation
who believe in our Constitution and the rule of law and democracy, that no
one, not even the president of the United States, is above the law, that we
stand up, that we stand with Congressman Green, that we call on our members
of Congress to join him in making this call to issue an impeachment
resolution and start the process in the United States House of
Representatives.

I know there are people who are saying, "Well, we need to get the facts
out." And we do need to get the facts out. But as Congressman Green has
eloquently stated, we need—we already have these facts. They’re talking
about getting other facts. The facts are out on obstruction of justice. The
facts are out on the violations of the anticorruption clauses of the
Constitution.

And we’re dealing right now with a constitutional crisis, in which this
president is openly defying the rule of law in our Constitution. So, people
all across the country need to stand up. Nine communities, including the
Los Angeles City Council, have already passed resolutions calling on
Congress to take this action. Brookline Town Meeting in Brookline,
Massachusetts, is going to vote this Thursday on this question. And many
other communities in the weeks ahead will do that, as well. And people can
go to our site at ImpeachDonaldTrumpNow.org
<https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/>. They can download a local resolution
and have it passed in your community. Hold an impeachment town hall, as
Congressman Green did this past Saturday, and get your community talking
about this critical question of our time. This is about our Constitution.
It’s about our democracy. And we all need to stand up.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Congressman Al Green, have Republicans come to you in
support, any of your—any of the Republican congressmembers?

*REP. AL GREEN:* Well, I’ve had Republicans to say to me that they oppose
these ugly things that have been said. I have not had any Republicans to
tell me about the resolution that I’m proposing or the impeachment effort.
And that’s because I have not asked. I have intentionally not approached
colleagues on this issue. This is a question of conscience for me. And I
hope that my colleagues will approach it as I have, but I will not ask
anyone to do this. I’m not lobbying anyone. I have concluded that this has
to be done, and my hope is that others will see things similarly. But if
they do not, I will understand. I think the people of the United States of
America, as John has indicated, have to get involved. It’s a participatory
democracy. If the people will advance their will, the will of Congress will
be advanced.

*AMY GOODMAN:* *The Hill* has reported that Congressmember Justin Amash of
Michigan, Republican, admitted Trump may have committed an impeachable
offense if he asked FBI Director James Comey to drop the FBI’s
investigation into Flynn. Amash is at least the second Republican openly to
say Trump may have committed an impeachable offense. Also Republican
Congressman Carlos Curbelo did, from Florida, said this on CNN last week.
Your thoughts on this, Al Green?

*REP. AL GREEN:* Well, thank you, Amy. I think a good many people see the
obstruction of justice, and a good many people understand that obstruction
of justice is impeachment. I think it’s beneficial that three members of
the Republican Party have given these indications. But I also understand
that there are a good many members who will be silent until given the
opportunity to vote. And at that point, they will voice their opinions. My
hope is that they will have heard from enough of their constituents, so
that they better understand the will of the people. I think the will of the
people will prevail. It’s just a matter of making sure people understand
what the issues are.

And finally, this, on this question of others, I believe that others who
desire to speak up will have the opportunity to do so as more things come
out, as there’s more evidence presented. I think that we haven’t seen the
last of this evidence that is ultimately going to be presented. But I also
know that we already have enough to impeach, because of the firing and
because the president confessed on national television that he did it
because of the investigation.

*AMY GOODMAN:* Well, Texas Congressmember Al Green, John Bonifaz of Free
Speech for People, thanks so much for joining us.

*REP. AL GREEN:* Thank you.

*JOHN BONIFAZ:* Thank you.

*AMY GOODMAN:* We’ll continue to follow your actions on the floor of the
House, Congressman Green, and this whole impeachment movement around the
country.

This is *Democracy Now!* When we come back, we’ll go to London to speak
with Tariq Ali about the suicide attack at the Manchester arena. Stay with
us.
The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/>. Please attribute
legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that
this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further
information or additional permissions, contact us.