[CML 012946] カナダの退役軍人、旧ユーゴでのDU被曝を訴えてハンガーストライクへ (カナディアン・プレス)

Kazashi nkazashi at gmail.com

主張。しかし、最近、劣化ウランによる健康障害を
訴え出る退役軍人が増えてきているとのこと。
 以上、ご参考までに。   嘉指信雄、ICBUWヒロ
シマ・オフィス
                         http://
icbuw-hiroshima.org/

***
Andy Blatchford, The Canadian Press
MONTREAL - An ex-soldier who says he was poisoned while serving
overseas is planning to go on a hunger strike outside the office of
Canada's veterans affairs minister until he gets medical treatment.

Or until he dies.
    Pascal Lacoste, who believes his steady decline in health began
after he was exposed to depleted uranium in Bosnia in the 1990s,
intends to stop eating on Nov. 5.
    The Quebec City resident chose the date because he expects his
weakened body to shut down six days later - on Remembrance Day.
Lacoste, 38, says Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney and his
department have denied his repeated requests for toxicology tests and
decontamination treatments, even though his doctor says his body is
carrying an unusually high level of uranium.
    The government insists, however, it doesn't see depleted uranium
as a potential risk for vets because few, if any, Canadian soldiers
have ever come into contact with it while in service.
    Ottawa also argues that tests performed a decade ago on a limited
number of returning troops did not find any toxic levels of depleted
uranium.
But Lacoste, who suffers from a degenerative neurological condition,
infertility and chronic pain, insists he has all the necessary
medical evidence to support his argument.
    "If this is what my country expects from me - to die instead of
being treated - then I accept my fate, except that I will do it
publicly," said Lacoste, who plans to spend the hunger strike in his
white SUV, which will be parked in front of Blaney's office in Levis,
Que.
    "It's not a good life, it's been 12 years of suffering. Man, I
wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy."
Depleted uranium, used in some types of ammunition and military
armour, is the dense, low-cost leftover once uranium has been processed.
The metal is 40 per cent less radioactive than natural uranium and is
not believed to be harmful unless dust from spent munitions or
damaged armour is ingested, according to Veterans Affairs Canada.
    Military equipment containing the substance was used in the 1990s
during conflicts in the Balkans as well as the first Gulf War - both
of which saw Canadian boots on the ground.
    Because of this, Lacoste, who served in Bosnia in 1996-'97,
maintains he's not alone.
He believes there are other veterans struggling with the health
impacts of depleted-uranium contamination, though they may not even
know it.
"I'm at peace with the idea of sacrificing myself for my brothers in
arms," said Lacoste, who discovered he had an abnormally high level
of uranium in his body in 2003, after his doctor tested his hair.
[以下略]