[asia-apec 1814] China beefs up APEC security

Aaron James aaronj at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 23 11:21:29 JST 2001

China beefs up APEC security

Beijing wants talks to focus on finance but terrorism may dominate agenda

By TIFFANY WU
Reuters News Agency

Monday, October 15, 2001 – Print Edition, Page B6

SHANGHAI -- With patrol boats cruising Shanghai waterways and armed
soldiers at the city limits, host China beefed up security yesterday for
the highest profile gathering of world leaders since the Sept. 11 attacks
on the United States.

But Chinese officials said they were determined the terrorism issue would
not overshadow the Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation meeting of 21 members
which opens today in Shanghai.

More than 10,000 police and security personnel have been mobilized to
protect the event to be attended by U.S. President George W. Bush, Chinese
President Jiang Zemin, Russian President Vladimir Putin and other leaders.

"Do not worry," Shanghai mayor Xu Kuangdi told a news conference.

He said after the attacks on America "we tightened our security and put in
place more meticulous arrangements." In answer to a reporter's question,
Mr. Xu shrugged off a warning last week by Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda
network not to "ride planes or live in tall buildings."

"He didn't say don't take a flight to Shanghai or stay in high rises in
this city," said Mr. Xu, whose metropolis boasts the world's third tallest
building.

People's Liberation Army soldiers wearing camouflage and face paint guarded
checkpoints on roads leading into Shanghai, inspecting luggage on buses and
turning back out-of-town trucks.

In the heart of China's financial centre, police have been checking IDs at
train stations and on street corners ahead of the arrival of some 7,800
delegates.

German shepherds, Rottweilers and spaniels sniffed for bombs at the media
centre, expected to host about 3,000 journalists.

State media said China had added more guards aboard commercial airliners
and imposed quarantine restrictions on international express mail to
prevent germ warfare by post.

China's APEC spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue said she hoped the meeting would focus
on its traditional economic agenda.

"Of course, the attack on the United States that took place on September 11
is an issue that is a concern to everyone," Ms. Zhang told a news conference.

"As the host of this APEC meeting, our leaders have also proposed the
exchange of views concerning this question to be discussed," she said.

"But I think the character and the nature of this APEC meeting will remain
the same."

Host China is keen to keep terror from dominating the week of talks. Ms.
Zhang said the global economy, already teetering before the attacks, should
top the agenda.

Analysts say a successful summit could help soften the downturn in the
world's economies through shoring up fragile business and consumer confidence