[asia-apec 1278] LFS Statement on State Violence in East Timor

LFS Philippines lfsphils at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 08:01:01 JST 1999

August 30, 1999
Press Release
by NOEL COLINA, LFS National Chairperson

Condemn the violence, support the struggle for self-determination!

Last August 26, pro-government paramilitary troops attacked a peaceful
assembly of East Timorese in the province of Dili, killing 6 East Timorese
and wounding scores of civilians and journalists in the process.  Tension
continues to rise as the referendum to decide whether the Indonesian
government will grant independence to its colony East Timor approaches.

We vehemently condemn this terror tactics of the Indonesian regime.  This is
not the first time this has transpired.  Ever since Indonesia colonized East
Timor, the suppression of the East Timorese continued without let-up.  To
suppress the rights of people to self-determination is a fundamental
violation of their basic rights. The attacks on the pro-independence
activists are being done systematically to scare and intimidate the East
Timorese and to
weaken their resolve in their struggle for an independent East Timor.  We,
the League of Filipino Students are in solidarity with the oppressed people of
East Timor for we Filipinos have suffered such fate during the Martial Law
days and are still suffering continued repression and human rights abuses
from thre Estrada government. The recent developments in the Philippines
are evidence to a move towards open fascist rule.

The League fully supports the struggle for self-determination of the East
Timorese.  It is the historical right of a people to have their own nation
and determine their future. The people of East Timor are doubly oppressed by
the Indonesian regime.  First through economic and political subjugation and
secondly through racial discrimination.  The people of East Timor, through
long and arduous struggle have more than earned the right to govern
themselves.  It is high time that the people's aspirations become a reality.

On August 31 the League of Filipino Students, in solidarity with the
oppressed people of East Timor, will hold a picket in front of the
Indonesian Embassy to condemn the butchery of the East Timorese and support
their struggle for self-determination.  We shall be joined by other youth
and students
organizations.  The picket will start at 11:00 a.m.