[asia-apec 926] Suggested Questions for Media during APEC

Jonathan Oppenheim oppenh at theory.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 27 15:14:01 JST 1998

The following is from our press pack (paparazzi pack) that we gave
out to media during our Mock APEC on Nov. 18th.
The media were given fake press passes which had the words "I killed
Lady Di" on them.  Although we tried to satirize the media as well
as the 21 world leaders, the media ended up satirizing themselves.
Instead of asking any questions, they just wanted photos
of our mock riot police pepper spraying students.
During APEC in Vancouver, we saw stories with such themes as:
"What does Bill Clinton eat in his motorcade?"
The RCMP Musical Ride!
Traffic problems caused by APEC,
A profile of the horse that pulled the cart for the
18 spouses of the world leaders,

and a wonderful feature on the 18 spouses visiting the Capilano
suspension bridge, and standing in the middle of it (how's that
for a security threat)

There was of course, almost no mainstream media attention given
to the effects of APEC itself, and documents tabled before the RCMP
Public Complaints Commission showed that the Prime Minister's Office
deliberately released "Human interest stories" to distract the public
from issues around the environment, human rights, working conditions,
consumerism, corporatism etc.

----- Begin Included Message -----

Paparazzi Pack

Welcome to APEC 98.  Due to budget cuts, APEC is being held at UBC
again!!!  We kindly thank Coca-Cola Bottling Corp. for their generous
contribution to this year's Summit.  For your shopping convenience, we
have located the Leaders' Retreat in the mall.  Please stay clear of the
security zone and the police.  If you wish to film demonstrators, they are
located downtown somewhere.  Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy
your visit to this beautiful campus!

Suggested Question for the Paparazzi

In order to aid your reporting we have taken the liberty of providing you
with the following suggested questions.  Although you are free to make up
your own questions, we recommend that you not ask anything that may be
construed as critical or probing.  Remember what happened to Terry.
Also, please only take photographs when the leaders are smiling.

1. Roots Canada designed the jackets you wore last year. Who designed the
line of batik underwear that you are all wearing this year?
2. Boxers or briefs?
3. Monica, does the President smoke Cubans?
4. If you could be any kind of leafy vegetable, what kind would you be?
5. How has trade-liberalization benefited your economy?
6. What color is the sky in your world?
7. Are you striving for excellence as your economy heads into the 21st
century?
8. What are some of the great accomplishments of APEC 98?
9. Monica, why hasn't the U.S. bombed Iraq yet?
10. Where do you prefer to dine when travelling abroad?
11. How do you deal with the constant stress that a great leader such as
yourself must endure?
12. Are you suffering from jet lag?
13. What brand of bottled water do you drink?
14. Which tourist attractions have you visited during your stay in
Malaysia?
15. How have Malaysians dealt with the severe traffic problems that
accompany APEC?
16. Do you find me attractive?
17. Can I help you with your fly?

----- End Included Message -----