[asia-apec 854] Revised Statement from APPA: Canadian government announces support of APPA

appasec appasec at tm.net.my
Thu Nov 5 14:52:00 JST 1998

(Listserv members: our deepest apologies for the revision.  The wrong text
file was inserted. The following is the statement we have sent to the
press.  You are welcome to forward it to others that are interested.
Please disregard the earlier statement.)

STATEMENT FROM THE ASIA-PACIFIC PEOPLES' ASSEMBLY ORGANISING COMMITTEE:

The Government of Canada announces its support of the Asia-Pacific
Peoples’ Assembly

On November 4, 1998, the Government of Canada made a public declaration of
support for the Asia-Pacific Peoples’ Assembly (APPA).  On November 2, the
APPA secretariat had received confirmation from the Canada Fund in
Malaysia, a branch of the Canadian International Development Agency, of
C$25,000 in support of the APPA secretariat.  The declaration of support
and the authorization of funding come from the Department of Foreign
Affairs and International Trade and the highest levels of Canadian
government.

We would like to acknowledge the role that international solidarity plays
in influencing government policy.  The decision of the Canadian government
to support the Peoples’ Assembly comes after years of lobbying and activism
from Canadian people to oppose APEC’s agenda and undemocratic operations.
We believe that such strong support of APPA would not have occurred without
the hard work of Canadian civil society.

The support from the Government and people of Canada is most welcome.  It
represents the affirmation of the Canadian people of the importance of
civil society and the necessity of open discussion to the decision-making
process, specifically with international trade and investment issues.  With
the Government of Canada’s stated support, we are confident that it will
give serious attention to APPA’s recommendations and analysis and that it
will urge other APEC governments to do likewise.

We hope that other APEC government leaders will follow the Canadian
initiative and
assert publicly their support of APPA and the vital role it plays as an
open forum for
discussion about APEC and globalisation.