[asia-apec 852] Statement From the Secretariat in Response to Announcement from the Government of Canada

appasec appasec at tm.net.my
Thu Nov 5 11:43:15 JST 1998

STATEMENT FROM THE SECRETARIAT:
(November 5, 1998, Kuala Lumpur)

The Government of Canada announces its support of the Asia-Pacific
Peoples’ Assembly

On November 4, 1998, the Government of Canada made a public declaration of support
for the Asia-Pacific Peoples’ Assembly (APPA).  On November 2, the APPA secretariat
had received confirmation from the Canada Fund in Malaysia, a branch of the Canadian
International Development Agency, of C$25,000 in support of the APPA secretariat.  The
declaration of support and the authorization of funding come from the Department of
Foreign Affairs and International Trade and the highest levels of Canadian government.

We would like to acknowledge the role that international solidarity plays in influencing
government policy.  The decision of the Canadian government to support the Peoples’
Assembly comes after years of lobbying and activism from Canadian people to oppose
APEC’s agenda and undemocratic operations.  We believe that such strong support of
APPA would not have occurred without the hard work of Canadian civil society.

The support from the Government and people of Canada is most welcome.  It represents
their affirmation of the importance of civil society and the necessity of open discussion to
the decision-making process, specifically with international trade and investment issues.
With the Government of Canada’s stated support, we are confident that it will give
serious attention to APPA’s recommendations and analysis and that it will urge other
APEC governments to do likewise.

We hope that other APEC government leaders will follow the Canadian initiative and
assert publicly their support of APPA and the vital role it plays as an open forum for
discussion about APEC and globalisation.