[asia-apec 955] More revelations in Canada SprayPEC saga

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Tue Dec 8 09:07:07 JST 1998

THE. VANCOUVER SUN 		THURSDAY, DECEMBER 3, 1998

STUDENT CLAIMS PMO, OFFICER STEWART TALKED

	An APEC protester claims an RCMP officer consulted
	with Prime Minister's Office before spraying incident.

	Kelly Sinoski and Doug Todd

	A prominent student protester at APEC claims RCMP Staff
Sergeant Hugh Stewart consulted with the Prime Minister's Office before
the infamous pepper spraying incident in November 1997.
	Jonathan Oppenheim makes the allegations in his submission to the
RCMP Public Complaints Commission, which is investigating the RCMP's
handling of protesters at the APEC summit.
	His submission quotes interviews from an internal RCMP
investigation that has not yet been released. However, the interviews were
distributed to lawyers for all parties involved in the probe.
	Oppenheim released material from his submission on his website
Wednesday. However, commission counsel Kevin Gillet refused to release
the submission officially, saying it was not made while the commission was
proceeding and shouldn't be made public.
	Oppenheim's submission quotes Stewart as saying in an interview
that he and senior officers met with PMO officials before deciding to use
pepper spray to disperse the crowd.
	But PMO official Jean Carle was quoted as telling the police
investigation he had no involvement in the discussions about dispersing the
crowd.
	According to transcripts of radio communications provided by
Oppenheim, RCMP Superintendent Wayne May, who was in charge of
over-all security, radioed the command centre, saying: "We got to start
moving, just talking to the Prime Minister's Office here and they figure
about 4 o'clock and if there's any delay the PM's going to be wanting a full
briefing....''
	Oppenheim said Wednesday "My concern is the Prime Minister's
Office was involved in giving the RCMP orders, to ensure there would be
no dissenting protesters."
	Hearings into how the RCMP handled the APEC summit are on
hold until the Federal Court deals with allegations by the Mounties' lawyer
that the RCMP Public Complaints Commission chairman is biased.
	Stewart wouldn't comment on Oppenheim's allegations, but two
RCMP lawyers said they were not aware that PMO officials were involved
in the decision to use pepper spray at APEC.
	RCMP lawyer Kevin Woodall said he recalls the officials from the
Prime Minister's Office met with police only to find out what was going on.
	RCMP lawyer George MacIntosh said he prefers to let the hearings
reveal what happened.
	"I'm not going to get into Jon's thesis bit by bit," he said. "We really
have to let that evidence play out in the hearing because there are too many
witnesses to be accurate."
	Carle couldn't be reached for comment.