[asia-apec 562] THREE MALAYSIANS ARRESTED IN RANGOON

appasec appasec at tm.net.my
Tue Aug 11 20:53:55 JST 1998

PRESS STATEMENT

10th August 1998

THREE MALAYSIANS ARRESTED IN RANGOON

SUARAM confirms that three Malaysians, two of whom are SUARAM members, have
been arrested in Rangoon yesterday by the Burmese military regime. The
three were part of the multi-national peace-making team mainly from ASEAN
countries; they were arrested and taken away from the streets of Rangoon.
Presently their whereabouts are still unknown.

The team was distributing messages of friendship and goodwill  in Burmese
and English, during the 10th anniversary of the military crackdown on
students and pro-democracy movement. The cards read:

"We are your friends from around the world.
We have not forgotten you.
We support your hopes for human rights and democracy.
8888 ~ Don’t Forget ~ Don’t Give Up"

For this simple message which extends solidarity and friendship across the
borders, they are being detained for allegedly "attempting to incite unrest"?

SUARAM is deeply concerned for the welfare of the Malaysians. We are
shocked that the Burmese government would consider any expressions of
goodwill to the people of Burma as constituting "inciting unrest".

SUARAM urges the Burmese government for the immediate and unconditional
release of all the detainees. We further urge the Malaysian foreign affairs
department to intervene and assist in hastening the return of the Malaysians.

Released by:

Elizabeth Wong
Coordinator
SUARAM