[asia-apec 303] FOCUS-on-APEC#9 Part 4

gonzalo g.salazar at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 10 07:54:43 JST 1997

Declaration: Manila PeopleÕs Forum on APEC
November 21-24, 1996

Reaffirming the historic Kyoto Declaration of November, 1995, we
have gathered in Manila as representatives of people's movements,
women's movements, trade unions, non-governmental and religious
organizations from 22 nations of Asia, Pacific, the Americas and
Europe. In five Pre- Forums we have studied and developed plans
of action related to gender equality, labour and migrant rights,
people's rights and democratization, environment and ecology, and
economic and social development. In each of these events we
prepared recommendations for action and further research related
to APEC. While we recognize the importance  of trade and rules to
govern trade, we are here to oppose the kind of trade represented
by the APEC process of global economic integration in service to a
corporate agenda at the expense of the human rights, dignity and
well-being of the peoples of this region. We are also here to learn
from each other and to strengthen our linkages and solidarity with
organizations and movements throughout the APEC region.

APEC '96 has been portrayed by the host government as having
injected a "social face" into the process by the inclusion of
elements of civil society in preparation for this week's meetings.
However, the real face of APEC has been deftly revealed by the
refusal of the host Philippine government to allow Nobel Peace
Prize winner Jose Ramos Horta and other foreign delegates entry
into the Philippines to participate in this forum, as well as the
repression of any form of protest for the duration of the APEC
meetings. It has also been painfully demonstrated by the
demolition of urban poor homes and the forced removal of
hundreds of thousands of poor people from Manila so that the
corporate and political elites attending APEC will not be disturbed
by seeing them.

Hiding the poor will not erase poverty. Nor will refusing entry to a
Nobel Peace laureate bring peace and justice to the people of East
Timor. These acts only amplify the demands and strengthen the
resistance of the people of this region against the wholesale
surrender of their sovereignty, their cultural integrity and the
economic well-being to the APEC agenda. The people are not
"human resources" to be minded, exploited and depleted. The
people are the wealth and the future of our nations, whose well-
being defines development and whose participation makes it
possible.

Political leaders, following the lead of transnational corporations
like mice following a trail of spilled grain, are pursuing an illusion of
a borderless world in which riches would flow without impediment
into their national cofferes or the accounts of their corporate allies.
We call on them to abandon that fantasy, and wake up to the
reality that our legacy, our dignity, our culture and our natural
world are being drained away instead into the offshore accounts of
global robber barons.

We call instead on all the governments participating in the APEC
"summit" to fulfill the democratic mandate to secure justice,
preserve the dignity and advance the economic, social and cultural
well-being of all the people, and protect the natural heritage for our
children's children.

In particular, we recommend to the governments of APEC, NGOs
and people's organizations the following considerations and
principles for action:

GENDER AND ECONOMIC LIBERALIZATION

In every country, women and the poorest of the poor. Women
carry the brunt of free trade policies which have had a devastating
impact on women's rights. The loss of livelihoods and decreasing
control over resources are increasing women's inequality. We reject
economic and social systems which create and perpetuate the
exploitation of women's bodies, and call on
governments to make the eradication of women's poverty a
priority. Further, the unpaid labour of women should be measured
and included in satellite accounts parallel to national accounts as
agreed to at the Fourth World Conference on Women at Beijing in
1995.

ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT

In a global economy dominated by transnational corporations with
their operation in almost every country, the theoretical
underpinning of free trade is no longer tenable. Yet, free trade is
still dominant in APEC's development policy.

Genuine development must be centred on the needs of people and
nature, and deliver real social and economic justice. However, the
kind of globalization being pushed by big business and neo-liberal
governments and institutions is creating an economic and financial
framework that widens povery throughout the APEC region. In
both developed and underdeveloped countries, poverty continues
to deepen both in character and magnitude. No longer do most
people of developed countries enjoy the economic and social
benefits of their countries' affluence. Worse, structural adjustment,
which is integral to APEC agenda, dictates severe cuts to social
infrastructure, leaving poor people more vulnerable and
intensifying social stratification and disintegration.

APEC governments are instituting economic, financial and social
policies and programmes that are biased against sustainable and
self-sufficient production in favour of rapid industrialization for
export markets. The net effect is further dispossession of
indigenous peoples, heightened rural poverty and aggravated
exploitation of newly urbanized industrial workers. Women suffer
most from these changes, ending up as cheap labour, overseas
migrant workers or prostitutes at the mercy of international
traffickers.

Children too are not spared. Child labour and child prosititution are
becoming rampant in many APEC nations. The violation of the
rights of the child, including the right to education and security of
person, are also common in many APEC nations. We call upon all
governments, NGOs and people's organizations and civil society to
defend and promote the child's best interests, as provided for in the
UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

HUMAN AND PEOPLES' RIGHTS

We reaffirm the universality, interrelatedness and interdependence
of human rights as the highest priority of states. The rights of the
majority of our populations continue to be violated. We are already
living with the negative impacts of economic liberalization. In the
face of overt human rights violations spawned by the accelerated
economic liberalization policies of Asia-Pacific and Latin American
governments, we call on the peoples of the region to assert and
defend their rights, including the right to basic food security and
livelihood; to independent economic, social, political and
environmental policies and programmes, to self- determination to
manage, protect, develop and defend ancestral domains of
indigenous peoples; to gender equality; and to the rule of law in
respect for human rights.

We demand the end of state-supported violence in the name of
economic and financial liberalization, and the incorporation of
respect for human and peoples' rights in the negotiation of trade
and economic agreements. We demand the unconditional release of
all political prisoners.

GOVERNANCE AND THE ROLE OF THE STATE

Since its inception, APEC has deliberately conducted its agenda in
an antidemocratic manner without transparency, accountability, or
popular participation. This is symptomatic of the underlying neo-
liberal model, which seeks to transfer power from states to
markets. The resulting lack of democracy is manifested in all levels
of the policies and practices of APEC
-- subsuming states to the directives of business advisory bodies,
corporations and international financial institutions.

Among APEC states are some of the most authoritarian
governments in the world. More and more governments, due to
pressure from their neighbours or on their own volition, are
undertaking anti-democratic practices. What is urgently needed
now is a strategy to mobilize democratic forces against the
arbitrary powers of state, corporations and policy bureaucracies
and their economic institutions, including APEC.

Governments must put in place rules and mechanisms to regulate
and monitor the conduct of TNCs, particularly with respect to
their ecologically damaging practices and their obligations to their
employees with respect to laws regulating wages, benefits, health
and safety and other labour standards.

We demand a highly inclusive level of political participation in the
selection of leaders and policies so that no major social group is
excluded. We demand a level of civil and political liberties --
freedom of expression, freedom of the press, freedom to form
organizations -- sufficient to ensure the integrity of governance and
meaningful participation. We further demand support for the
democractic values associated with community and social justice
which lend substance to a genuine concern with social and
economic rights.

LABOUR AND MIGRANT RIGHTS

Global market pressures reinforce and magnify state repression of
workers, or undermine the ability of some governments to protect
labour standards. Globalization also undermines the security of
employment, the right to a living wage, and the ability to organize
and bargain collectively. The resulting pressure on workers to
survive leads to the "informalization" of
the workforce. Informalization is turning workers, in both the
formal and informal sectors, into an even cheaper, more docile,
exploited and un-unionized labour force, and impacts particularly
on women. It forces families to resort to sending their children to
work, and some women to engage in prostitution to survive.

Globalization intensifies migration, and also has a particularly
negative impact on women. The exploitative system of migrant
labour recruitment, often operating outside state regulation, must
be addressed by governments. Special attention must be given to
the rampant and brutal abuses associated with the feminization of
migration, and the violation of the human rights of both
documented and undocumented migrant workers.

Governments must respect, improve and enforce national labour
laws, which are consistent with internationally recognized basic
labour rights, and refrain from involving military or police in labour
disputes to intimidate workers, or as corporate scabs. We insist
that each government develop and maintain workplace health and
safety laws and that failure to provide, or continually lowering,
workplace safety standards no longer be used to entice
or retain investment.

We demand the repeal of anti-migrant laws and policies in both
sending and receiving countries. These measures must include the
regularization of all undocumented workers. Governments should
advance the welfare and protection of migrant workers by ratifying
the UN Convention for the Protection of the Rights of all Migrant
Workers and Members of Their Families, and through bilateral
agreements with receiving countries.

ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT

The experience of Chile and Taiwan demonstrates that liberalized
trade and investment will further accelerate environmental
degradation. Exploitation of natural resources for export resulting in
deforestation, depletion of fish stocks, destruction of coral reefs
and mangrove forests, desertification and loss of control by
communities and indigenous peoples over their ancestral doman
(land, air, water, skills and knowledge) are what we have already
witnessed. Continuing to rely on non-renewable, polluting energy
sources to fuel the demands of industrialization causes irreversible
damage to ecosystems and human health, and robs future
generations of a resource base for their survival. The dumping of
toxic waste, export of hazardous materials, and migration of dirty
technology to developing countries leads to environmental
catastrophe, with terrible consequences for human health.

To prevent thse devastating effects, we bind ourselves to the
principles of ecologically and sustainable social development that is
people-oriented and environment based, protects biodiversity, and
places a premium on preserving women's livelihoods, people's
participation, and improved quality of life. We reject any slogan of
"sustainable development" which fails to include these elements.

We call for the support and strengthening of people's movements,
especially farmers and fisherfolks, who are resisting injustice and
encroachment to their lands and livelihoods by transnational
corporations and so-called development programmes.

ONWARD TO VANCOUVER

We are confident that the struggles of people throughout Asia,
Pacific and the Americas to expose the false promises of APEC
have succeeded in challenging the narrow interests that are driving
this process. We have grown in numbers and understanding, in
mobilization and strength during the past three years of popular
activity. We have established an ambitious programme of research
and mobilization to prepare for the next phase of our work in
developing liveable and sustainable alternatives to market-driven
globalization based on the principles of democracy, equality and
social justice. We will meet next year in Vancouver to continue this
effort. During the next year, our work will focus on the role of the
state, the
environment, and an alternative economic agenda.

Action proposals from the Pre-Forums and the People's Forum are
appended to provide guidance for this work.