[asia-apec 124] Internet control

RVerzola RVerzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 25 12:14:09 JST 1996

>          We would like to respectfully remind the ASEAN nations that
>     content-based restrictions on online communication violate
>     internationally guaranteed rights of free expression. As stated in

To those who posted this letter to ASEAN governments referring to
Internet censorship in Asia, may I pose a question:

If I send a copy of a U.S. commercial software to a friend over the
network, or even on this mailing list, I am also exercising my right
to exchange information with others.

Yet the U.S. is at the lead of criminalizing this act, and in APEC it
is very strongly pushing for strict implementation of intellectual
property concepts. Apparently, unrestricted communication is OK if it
only undermines Asian governments, but not if it undermines US
commercial interests.

A number of Asian groups are therefore opposing the introduction of
intellectual property issues in APEC. Do you also have a stand on this
issue?

Regards.

Roberto Verzola