[sustran] Access: transforming travel planners

Carlosfelipe Pardo pardo at despacio.org
Tue Feb 28 10:46:14 JST 2017

Typical travel planners provide a great service to users: they indicate
what travel mode they should take if they indicate where they need to go.
But they could go beyond that and provide a better service by providing
access rather than transport.

We have learned that transport by itself is not an entirely useful
activity. It is most relevant when it is linked to the purpose of providing
access. In that sense, many journeys could - at least in principle- be
replaced by non-travel activities and anyway provide access to the same
needs. If I need to work I can do it from home by teleworking, if I need a
pencil I can order it online and if I want to learn something I can go to
an online course. The specifics of each option vary from the "traveling"
option, but in essence they serve the original purpose.

We could use this knowledge to help people by transforming the way travel
planners work...
(continues here:
http://despacio.org/en/2017/02/27/access-transforming-travel-planners/)

--
Carlosfelipe Pardo | Director Ejecutivo | despacio
pardo at despacio.org
Tel: (+571) 2484420  / Cel (+573) 21 343 3727
despacio.org