[sustran] Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Metro Rail in Bogota !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priyanka Alok Jain alok.priyanka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 14:42:30 JST 2017

I have a slight different take on this. There is a difference between activism and pragmatism. While activism is important to control the political or economic opportunism, it should not come in the way of pragmatism.

Both metros and BRT are part of urban mobility solutions and one should only complement the other. I agree that many cities are stupidly planning metros without thinking much about the need but for their monumental value and that should be stopped but can you imagine Hong Kong or Singapore without a well-functioning metro system? Bogota BRT system is bursting at its seams and has almost reached its capacity in many corridors. It is wise to plan a metro along those corridors while BRT can also expand in new corridors. Being linear, dedicated right-of-way systems, metros obviously move more people than BRT. Let’s not make Enrique Penalosa appear as a sinner but an advocate for public transport. Last thing one would want to see is more private cars on the road.

“Pricing” is a completely different issue and I will not confuse the issue by dwelling on it.

Best Regards
Alok