[sustran] Bogotá Pedestrian Account 2017 released

Carlosfelipe Pardo pardo at despacio.org
Fri Aug 18 09:10:16 JST 2017

We have just released this document that, though fully in Spanish, may be
of interest:

Full document in Spanish in
http://www.despacio.org/portfolio_page/caminar-en-bogota-las-cuentas-2017/

*Executive Summary: *

Although the number of pedestrian trips made daily in Bogotá is high
(3,090,809), we observe that there has been little study of the state of
these road users in the city; a state defined on occasion by unsafe
streets, the invasion of public space, and a poor and deteriorating
pedestrian infrastructure, as well as by, among others, the intervention of
various public spheres and the improvement of parks and plazas.

This document has resulted from an investigation process, consultation of
various sources, and a critical, informative and constructive analysis on
the part of its authors and collaborators. The aim is to develop an
in-depth analysis that offers both layman and professional audiences
profound insights into the difficulties, opportunities, and challenges of
pedestrian mobility in the city, as well as generating a number of
proposals in order to contribute to public policy that prioritizes
pedestrian well-being.

After revising the theory of how pedestrian spaces should be developed and
how this can be connected to sustainable transport policy, this document
describes existing national- and district-level policy and regulation and
the evolution of pedestrian policy in successive municipal administrations.
Here, it is clear that over the past twenty years, a certain level of
interest for pedestrians has not proven sufficiently substantial or
persistent to generate durable change. Furthermore, we present examples of
different types of pedestrian infrastructure development, as well as a
description of citywide infrastructure construction and maintenance
investment. Surprisingly, while one in every four walks, only 1% of the
city  budget is designated to pedestrian infrastructure. Additionally, we
find that *bogotanos* enjoy only 4,41 square metres of public space per
person (while the United Nations recommends 15 square metres).

We continue by describing the demographic statistics and modal distribution
of those who walk as a means of transport (for instance, we find that only
two of 100 pedestrian trips made by children are made by those who live in
neighbourhoods in *estrato* 5 and 6, while 95% are made by those living in
*estratos* 1, 2 and 3), as well as how safe it is to walk in the city,
where we find that street robberies in 2016 neared the 30,000 mark. These
discussions are completed by a review of perceptions of the everyday
activity of walking, where we find that the main motivations for moving
oneself by foot are vehicular congestion and the desire for exercise.

The document concludes with a preliminary assessment of the distinct
societal benefits of pedestrian mobility, including the reduction of
emissions and various socioeconomic benefits, and presents proposals to
further improve conditions for these citizens, such as the implementation
of pedestrian policy, its financing, standards for ”complete streets”, and
promoting stronger citizen participation on behalf of pedestrians.