[sustran] Peñalosa's inaugural speech as Bogotá's mayor

Carlosfelipe Pardo pardo at despacio.org
Sat Jan 2 09:59:54 JST 2016

Hi,

Many of you will be interested in reading Peñalosa's inaugural speech today
as Bogotá's new Mayor. The link below has the full text and has a button to
read in English (it seems to be google translate so not perfect). The
highlight of the speech related to transport (also google translate):

"We will make the Metro line with the support of President Santos and the
special collaboration of his Finance Minister Mauricio Cardenas and
Planning Director Simon Gaviria; we will fix TransMilenio and more than
double the existing trunk; to fix the SITP, implement citywide and make it
financially sustainable.

We will do the best for our city public transport system in the developing
world.
But the solution to mobility is not simply a matter of infrastructure. More
than that, it is a challenge of equity and changes in our behavior. Today
only 16 out of 100 people in Bogotá is mobilized by car and we are
completely bottled. We build new roads, but there is no possibility that
that alone the problem of mobility is resolved. We all need to work
together, leaving the car at home and using public transportation.
I do not think it right to remove resources to health or education, to
build and maintain roads for motor vehicles.
The fair is that motor generate the resources to build and maintain the
roads they use.

In the past, resources toll there at all entrances to the city have
financed exclusively road infrastructure in the city limits out. To the
main routes in and out of the city, facilitating mobility, now must take
tolls to finance road infrastructure of the city limits inward.
We will take advantage of the mechanisms and infrastructure projects that
have driven Vice President Germán Vargas and ANI, to carry out major road
projects that need our city.
Bicycles are not a game. Because we started building bike paths and bicycle
promotion as few cities in the world had done, today Bogota is the capital
of America with a greater number of people moving bike.

For every 3 people who move by car, there is a bike that does. They are all
civic heroes, helping to fewer traffic jams, less pollution and fewer
health problems in the city.

Cyclists will support more and better infrastructure and security, to
achieve, hopefully, that 10% of citizens are mobilized bike within four
years.
With the improvements to public transport will, more citizen cooperation,
we will make our Bogota exemplary worldwide in sustainable mobility city."
Full speech:
http://www.bogota.gov.co/alcalde-mayor/discurso-posesion

--
Carlosfelipe Pardo | Director Ejecutivo | despacio
pardo at despacio.org
Tel: (+571) 2484420  / Cel (+573) 21 343 3727
despacio.org