[sustran] Fwd: Invitation to Second Meeting | Make way for buses | Friday, 6 PM, Hauz Khas

Aashish Gupta aashish at riceinstitute.org
Tue Mar 31 01:57:33 JST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Make way for buses <makewayforbuses at gmail.com>
Date: 30 March 2015 at 22:24
Subject: Fwd: Invitation to Second Meeting | Make way for buses | Friday, 6
PM, Hauz Khas
To: buskorastado at googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

As you may be aware, the Delhi Government led by Arvind Kejriwal has, in
principle, decided to demolish the BRT infrastructure currently in place in
the Ambedkar Nagar - Moolchand corridor, and replace it with a six-lane
road with no special facilities for buses. This decision has been taken
after persistent demands for such a step by wealthy residents in South
Delhi localities like Greater Kailash, who are unwilling to look beyond the
private automobile when considering solutions for our transportation
problems.
​ It is also worth considering that no serious actions to mitigate Delhi's
dreadful air pollution have been contemplated so far by this new
government, while the limited public transport facilities that exist are
being demolished. ​

Concerned by the speed with which the government was moving against the
BRT, a few of us circulated an invitation to a brainstorming session on
Sunday. Around 20 people gathered at extremely short notice, including some
members of the original design team of the Delhi BRT. We discussed the
design and operation of the BRT, and ways to challenge the culture and
ideology of automobility and to promote public transport in the city. The
minutes of the meeting can be accessed here: http://on.fb.me/1BWOXqD.
We are now trying to take the conversation forward and bringing together
members of social movement organizations, experts on
​ public transportation​
 planning and concerned citizens together to develop a charter of demands
and to chalk out a strategy aimed not just at saving the BRT infrastructure
from the wrecking ball, but also to get the government to take proactive
steps to make the existing BRT corridor work and to
​improve public and non-motorised transportation in Delhi

It is critical that we put up a collective fight for
​public transporation​
, and we will not be able to do this without your presence and
participation. Please do join us at
*​​ 6 PM on Friday, the 3rd of April*, to discuss a common strategy and
programme of action. The
​​
* venue is B1-15 (First Floor), Hauz Khas, New Delhi*
*​ *(google pin here
<https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/B1%2F18,+Kharera,+Hauz+Khas,+New+Delhi,+Delhi+110016/@28.5513434,77.2058077,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x390ce20d62dca5a5:0x20c54c7df9e3289e>,
call 9871116763 for direcions)*​*
.
​Like last time, we promise chai and snacks. ​Do consider circulating this
email in your networks.

In solidarity,
​बस को रास्ता दो अभियान - Make way for Buses Campaign

​
​Event invite on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/events/688802047915214/> |
​Like us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/buskorastado> | follow us on
twitter <https://twitter.com/BusKoRastaDo> | Connect via Google Groups