[sustran] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mumbai Corporation Hikes parking Charges !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 14:29:33 JST 2015

*Mumbai Corporation Hikes Parking Charges *

Mumbai Municipal Corporation has decided to hike parking charges across the
board as the city is beginning to strangulate itself in the number of cars
being brought on the roads and choking itself on auto emissions.

This is a welcome step though hiking parking charge by itself will not
solve the traffic problem and needs the other important components of an
excellent Public Transport and Safe, Comfortable and Pleasant NMT
facilities. But it is important because it accepts perhaps for the first
time that personal auto vehicles are part of the problem and NOT the
solution to our traffic problems.

If all our efforts are concentrated on trying to ease congestion for
personal vehicles (which broadly has been the policy of the city all these
years) we will never take serious steps to improve public transport (PT)
and NMT. Now hopefully, the pressure for improving these (PT and NMT) will
get stronger support from a wider spectrum of citizens particularly the
ones whose opinion matters !!

For the past few decades the voices of the majority forced to use PT & NMT
were totally ignored.

*Is there a lesson for Pune ?*

Instead of trying to accommodate the growing number of personal auto
vehicles by increasing parking spaces in our municipal bye laws (a hopeless
task as the projected requirement for 2.5 lakh auto vehicles added to the
city each year is over 360 acres EACH YEAR !!!!!!!!), isn't it high time to
send the message that Public Transport, and NMT (and not personal auto
vehicles) will get our top priority ??

--
Sujit

*Parisar*​

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Parisar: www.parisar.org