[sustran] BRT to be scrapped, new improved versions on the way: Delhi govt

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 02:57:31 JST 2015

http://www.hindustantimes.com/newdelhi/brt-to-be-scrapped-new-improved-versions-on-the-way-delhi-govt/article1-1374447.aspx

BRT to be scrapped, new improved versions on the way: Delhi govt

   - HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
   <http://www.hindustantimes.com/Search/Search.aspx?op=story&pt=all&auth=Hindustan%20Times>,
   New Delhi|
   - Updated: Jul 30, 2015 00:02 IST

Experts say the decision to scrap the BRT corridor will hit efforts to
control pollution since the basic idea behind the system was to promote
public transport and reduce the use of cars. (Ajay aggarwal/HT File)
------------------------------

   The Delhi government said on Wednesday that it would build more
   corridors like the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) section it scrapped just a few
   days ago, blaming design flaws for the existing version's lack of success
   rather than its inherent inefficiency.

The BRT corridor was mired in controversy since it became operational in
2008 as motorists complained of long traffic snarls and bus commuters put
up with utter chaos. Shoddy implementation meant the earmarking of lanes
was not adhered to and middle-of-the-road bus stops put pedestrians' safety
at risk.

But the government will soon give the city a new and improved BRT, starting
with outer Delhi, chief minister Arvind Kejriwal announced at a daylong
‘Delhi Transport Vision Conference’ on Wednesday, saying that the system
was best suited for the capital as it catered to both the rich and the poor.

“BRT is a good concept which has been successful in several countries and
in India as well. Delhi government is in favour of BRT. We feel the
existing system was implemented badly. It was full of design faults. But we
can always improve on the design and give Delhi a newer version,” Kejriwal
said.

On July 21, the Delhi cabinet approved the decision to scrap the BRT
corridor from Moolchand to Ambedkar Nagar. “We are going to scrap the BRT
corridor but we will introduce new BRT corridors in Delhi in an improved
form in future. We have to make the transport system better in the next
five years,” Kejriwal said.

Public works department minister Satyendar Jain said BRT was the only
solution for Delhi as the Metro alone could not meet the city’s
transportation needs.

The AAP government has already announced plans to beef up the bus system.
It plans to add 10,000 new buses under the Delhi Transport Corporation over
the next five years.

The experts who participated in the seminar were also of the view that BRT
was the need of the hour and it should be modified according to the city's
requirement.

Professor Shivananda Swami, associate director, Center for Environment,
Planning and Technology, made a presentation on BRT systems in various
cities. Transport minister Gopal Rai proposed a BRT-like project be
initiated in outer Delhi.

“We will appoint a consultant who will study the transport system and
suggest ways for dedicated corridors,” Rai said.

Of the 14.5-km BRT corridor from Ambedkar Nagar to Delhi Gate, only a
5.8-km stretch is operational.