[sustran] Summary of responses: Traffic pyramid - a discussion for Colombian urban transport policy

Carlosfelipe Pardo pardo at despacio.org
Sun Sep 14 23:39:54 JST 2014

Dear all,

As a response to my email below requesting feedback on the issue of the
priority of public transport and (or vs?) non-motorized transport (see
original message below), I have received various responses that have been
most useful to give more grounding to the debate (most of them individually
and not sent to the sustran listgroup). The main issues that I've found
were the following (the text below is a translation of my summary as sent
to government):

- Both public and non-motorized transport are relevant modes to be promoted
and should be prioritary.
- The interaction of public transport and non-motorized transport is
fundamental, in particular because all trips have a non-motorized component
and, as such, make public transport trips possible (and in the case of
bicycles, expand its coverage and make it more flexible).
- There is not much support between the different experts to the idea that
public transport is more accessible (or affordable) than non motorized
transport
- Bicycles as a transport mode are relevant (and sometimes more efficient)
for trips up to 7 kilometers (some indicated 5 kilometers as the threshold
for bicycle use).

Any further inputs are most welcome, and it would be nice if this
discussion can continue!! Thanks again for everyone's interest.

Best regards,

Carlos.

--
Carlosfelipe Pardo | Director Ejecutivo | despacio
pardo at despacio.org