[sustran] Re: Traffic pyramid - a discussion for Colombian urban transport policy

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Thu Sep 11 20:21:14 JST 2014

That is an interesting question.

Of course, active and public transit travel are complements: they help each
other. Almost all transit trips include active transport links, so improving
walking and cycling conditions is often one of the best ways to improve and
encourage public transit travel, and both are needed to create an urban
transport system which provides a high level of accessibility and allows
residents to reduce their vehicle ownership.

I think it is best to promote "complete streets" policies which ensure that
urban streets serve all users.

See the following publications:

ADUPC (2009), Abu Dhabi Urban Street Design Manual, Abu Dhabi Urban Planning
Council (www.upc.gov.ae/en/Home.aspx); at
www.upc.gov.ae/guidelines/urban-street-design-manual.aspx?lang=en-US.

ADUPC (2013), Abu Dhabi Public Realm Design Manual, Abu Dhabi Urban Planning
Council (www.upc.gov.ae/en/Home.aspx); at www.upc.gov.ae/prdm/index.asp.

ABW (2014), Bicycling and Walking in the U.S.: Benchmarking Reports,
Alliance for Biking & Walking, (www.peoplepoweredmovement.org); at
www.peoplepoweredmovement.org/benchmarking.

Alta Planning + Design (2005), Caltrans Pedestrian and Bicycle Facilities
Technical Reference Guide: A Technical Reference and Technology Transfer
Synthesis for Caltrans Planners and Engineers, California Department of
Transportation
(www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/survey/pedestrian/TR_MAY0405.pdf).

Todd Litman (2003), "Economic Value of Walkability," Transportation Research
Record 1828, Transportation Research Board (www.trb.org), pp. 3-11; at
www.vtpi.org/walkability.pdf.

Todd Litman (2012), Evaluating Complete Streets: The Value of Designing
Roads For Diverse Modes, Users and Activities, Victoria Transport Policy
Institute (www.vtpi.org); at www.vtpi.org/compstr.pdf.

Todd Litman (2011), Evaluating Active Transport Benefits and Costs: Guide to
Valuing Walking and Cycling Improvements and Encouragement Programs,
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org); at
www.vtpi.org/nmt-tdm.pdf; originally published as "Bicycling and
Transportation Demand Management," Transportation Research Record 1441,
1994, pp. 134-140.

NACTO (2011), Urban Bikeway Design Guide, National Association of City
Transportation Officials (www.nacto.org); at
http://nacto.org/cities-for-cycling/design-guide.

John Pucher, Jennifer Dill and Susan Handy (2010), "Infrastructure, Programs
and Policies To Increase Bicycling: An International Review," Preventive
Medicine, Vol. 48, No. 2, February; prepared for the Active Living By Design
Program (www.activelivingbydesign.org); at
http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/pucher/Pucher_Dill_Handy10.pdf.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman (litman at vtpi.org)
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
Office: 250-360-1560 | Mobile: 250-508-5150
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
     Efficiency - Equity - Clarity