[sustran] Re: Side-event Invitation:Financing Framework for Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport on July 7th during the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development

Pascal van den Noort operations at velomondial.net
Fri Jul 4 16:00:20 JST 2014

Dear Cornie,

Thanks for your invitation; you may realize that I will not be able to attend at such short notice. However, having said that, I would like to point out two aspects of the work that Velo Mondial is executing with partners, like the highly innovative, Dutch feet on the ground company Decisio. With them we develop the international application of their Dutch findings and tools. Two examples:

In the fall we will produce a study under the title: 'New ways to go; Private investment in cycling'. It is done in the context of CycleCities, an EC Interreg IVc project with Gdansk, Ljubljana, Genoa, Lisbon, Leipzig, Piraeus, Athens, the London Borough of Merton and it promises to be a very interesting document.  The report is focusing on determining the costs and benefits associated with private investments in cycling using the methodology prepared by CycleCities partner National Technical University of Athens with the aim of encouraging an increase in private investment in cycling. The report will be combined with two other reports; one on cycling and public investment and another one on cycling and environmental aspects.

Also with Decisio we are in the process of developing international versions of a tool analysing the Social Cost & Befits of investment in cycling by cities. A 'Social Cost & Benefit Analysys (SCBA)' of cycling investments and other cycling measures gives insight in the value of the investment to (groups of citizens in the) society, the social return on investment. That’s why it is a solid and convincing basis for decision-making, as cycling investments can be compared with other investments. It is already tested and now functioning in The Netherlands. On http://www.fietsberaad.nl/mkba-fiets/index.cfm?action=nieuweinfrastructuur you can find a simple interactive SCBA tool for cycling, developed by Decisio (in dutch only); it is for cities to make a quick scan.

Looking forward to our ongoing cooperation,

Pascal

Pascal J.W. van den Noort
Executive Director
Velo Mondial, A Micro Multi-National

operations at velomondial.net
 +31206270675 landline
+31627055688 mobile phone

Velo Mondial's Blog

Linkedin

Click here for information on urban mobility issues you always wanted to have