[sustran] Re: Is TDM avoid or shift?

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 02:16:36 JST 2013

Hi Carlos,

As Sunny says I also feel that TDM is a collection of tools that cover the
entire spectrum from avoid, shift to improve. However I strongly feel that
the most effective TDM measure will vary from city to city (country to
country) and for its success will depend on which options are used as major
drivers of TDM.

In  other words, for a developing country like India, strong parking
controls, pollution levy, street designs that encourage NMT and Public
Transport but discourage personal automobile use, taxation that does
likewise and a strong outreach programme carried out in a democratic and
transparent manner would be the options to go for -- rather than car
sharing, higher efficiency engines, cleaner fuels and electric cars etc,
though by themselves these may be perfectly worth pursuing.

But the prerequisite for this will of course be for the decision makers to
be first convinced of the absolute need for a sustainable transport vision
(as against a car dominated vision), Very often this is missing and what we
then get is a massive barrage of "double speak" where Government policies
pay lip service to good practices but there's zero implementation on the
ground. Normally this is also accompanied by non-existent monitoring and
reluctance to enforce pre determined goals and service level benchmarks
even where they exist.
--
Sujit

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Carlosfelipe Pardo
<carlosfpardo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok, probably this has been discussed before, but I'd like to pose the
> question to see people's views:
>
> Under the ASI (avoid shift improve) approach, is TDM avoid or shift? Or
> both?
>
> Happy to hear everyone's views. I say shift!
>
> Carlos.

> (the 'Global South').

*It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
*

- J. Krishnamurti

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627