[sustran] Re: Is TDM avoid or shift?

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Oct 30 01:19:59 JST 2013

Thanks Cornie,

Yes, I agree, to build support for TDM we must show that it increases rather
than reduces economic development. I believe that is the case, as discussed
in:

Smart Transportation Economic Stimulation (www.vtpi.org/econ_stim.pdf ).

Are Vehicle Travel Reduction Targets Justified? Evaluating Mobility
Management Policy Objectives Such As Targets To Reduce VMT And Increase Use
Of Alternative Modes (www.vtpi.org/vmt_red.pdf ).

I think it is important to emphasize the positive benefits of more efficient
transportation (congestion reductions, road and parking facility cost
savings, consumer savings and affordability, accident reductions, improved
mobility for non-drivers, improved public fitness and health, improved
community livability, etc.) and the wide variety of strategies that can be
used which meet the specific needs of each community. Vehicle quotas are
certainly appropriate in some situations, but to many people they sound
extreme – they imply that TDM requires depriving people of their ability to
own a car. There are many other TDM strategies that I believe have wider
potential, such as bus priority lanes and BRT systems, walking and cycling
improvements, and parking policy reforms. For good examples see:

Paul Barter (2010) Parking Policy in Asian Cities, Asian Development Bank
(www.adb.org); at
http://beta.adb.org/publications/parking-policy-asian-cities. Also see
www.slideshare.net/PaulBarter/barter-for-adb-transport-forum-2010.

GIZ (2003-2012), Sustainable Transportation: A Sourcebook for Policy-Makers
in Developing Countries, (www.sutp.org <http://www.sutp.org/> ), by the
Sustainable Urban Transport Project – Asia (www.sutp-asia.org
<http://www.sutp-asia.org/> ) and Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Technische
Zusammenarbeit (www.gtz.de <http://www.gtz.de/> ).

ITDP (2011), Better Street, Better Cities: A Guide To Street Design In Urban
India, Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (www.itdp.org);
at www.itdp.org/betterstreets.

James Leather, Herbert Fabian, Sudhir Gota and Alvin Mejia (2011),
Walkability and Pedestrian Facilities in Asian Cities: State and Issues,
Sustainable Development Working Paper, Asian Development Bank (www.adb.org);
at
http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/sites/default/files/documents/ADB-WP17-
Walkability-Pedestrian-Facilities-Asian-Cities.pdf.

Enrique Peñalosa (2005), “The Role Of Transport In Urban Development
Policy,” Sustainable Transport: A Sourcebook for Policy-makers in Developing
Cities, published by the Sustainable Urban Transport Project – Asia
(www.sutp.org/download/sourcebookhome.php) and Deutsche Gesellschaft fur
Technische Zusammenarbeit (www.gtz.de <http://www.gtz.de/> ).

Frederik Strompen, Todd Litman and Daniel Bongardt (2012), Reducing Carbon
Emissions Through TDM Strategies - A Review of International Examples,
Transportation Demand Management in Beijing (http://tdm-beijing.org) GIZ and
the Beijing Transportation Research Centre; at
http://tdm-beijing.org/files/International_Review.pdf; summary at
http://tdm-beijing.org/files/International_Review_Executive_Summary.pdf.

UITP (2012), Better Urban Mobility in Developing Countries: Problems,
Solutions and Good Practices, International Association of Public Transport
(www.uitp.org); at www.uitp.org/publications/brochures/Dev-Countries-uk.pdf.

Rachel Weinberger, et al. (2013), Parking Guidebook for Chinese Cities,
Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (www.itdp.org); at
www.itdp.org/documents/Parking_Guidebook_for_Chinese_Cities.pdf.

Wilbur Smith (2008), Traffic & Transportation Policies and Strategies in
Urban Areas in India, Ministry of Urban Development (www.urbanindia.nic.in);
at www.urbanindia.nic.in/programme/ut/final_Report.pdf.

Lloyd Wright (2007), Bus Rapid Transit Planning Guide, Institute for
Transportation and Development Policy (www.itdp.org <http://www.itdp.org/>
); at www.itdp.org/index.php/microsite/brt_planning_guide.

Lloyd Wright (2009), Environmentally Sustainable Transport For Asian Cities:
A Sourcebook, United Nations Centre for Regional Development
(www.uncrd.org.jp); at
http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/uncrd/unpan031844.pdf.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org <http://www.vtpi.org/> )
litman at vtpi.org

facebook.com/todd.litman
Office: 250-360-1560; Mobile: 250-508-5150
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”