[sustran] Re: Meeting of 35th Transport Development Council (TDC) to be held on 23rd October, 2013

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 04:15:16 JST 2013

The agenda seems to be largely car oriented. Although some taxes are
proposed they are not meant to act as TDM but as a revenue steam that may
be used for non-sustainable proposals such as augmenting parking or similar
things.. nothing about congestion charging, environmental levy on gas
guzzling SUVs or levy on polluting vehicles. Actually Transport Secretaries
should should be concerned about sustainability issues but as we know these
are topics for paying lip service and not for real action.Perhaps we should
write to the committee and point this out.
--
Sujit

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Vinay Baindur <yanivbin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Meeting of 35th Transport Development Council (TDC) to be held on 23rd
> October, 2013
>
> The 35th Meeting of Transport Development Council (TDC) is scheduled to be
> held on 23.10.2013 (Wednesday) at 11.00 AM at NASC Complex, DPS Road, Pusa,
> New Delhi under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Minister for Road Transport &
> Highways. The meeting is expected to be attended by State Transport
> Ministers, Lieutenant Governors of States / UTs & Principal Secretary
> (Transport) / Transport Commissioners of all the States / UTs and also by
> some of the Central Ministers / Senior Officers and other stake holders
> apart from MoRTH officers.
>
> The Transport Development Council is the apex body to discuss crucial road
> transport related issues requiring broader consensus among States. Through
> this platform, various important decisions have been taken in the past
> including seamless movement of Goods Carriage through National Permit
> System. During the 35th meeting, it is proposed to deliberate on the issue
> of rationalization of motor vehicle taxes in the country.
>
> The Agenda items to be discussed in the meeting for consideration of the
> TDC include –
>
> a) Recommendations of the Official Committee set up for Rationalization of
> Motor Vehicle Taxes to levy lifetime tax at floor rate of 6% of the sale
> price before VAT on two wheeler / car / LMV.
>
> b) Rationalization of Taxes for taxis / maxis.
>
> c) Introduction of National Permit System for buses on lines of goods
> transport vehicles.
>
> d) Issue of overloading.
>
> e) Levying of multiple taxes, such as Entry Tax, Mechanical Tax, Service
> Tax etc. by the State Governments.
>
> ******

> (the 'Global South').

[image: Inline image 1]

*Parisar*

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Blog: http://motif.posterous.com/
Parisar: www.parisar.org