[sustran] Punjab and Haryana High Court on Promotion of Non Motor Transport Facilities and Ecocabs

Asija, Navdeep navdeep.asija at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 16:39:17 JST 2013

Civil Writ Petition. No. 7500 of 2010 [O&M].
****
Court on its own motion Vs. Punjab State & Ors.
***
**
Instead of complying with a simpliciter order dated 20.09.2013 for the
rationalisation of sites of the rickshaw stands and to consider the
viability of extending the Non-motorised Transport System in the Southern
sectors of Chandigarh, the Authorities of the Chandigarh Administration and
its Municipal Corporation have chosen even not to respond or give
instructions to their respective counsel.

[2]. Before we adversely comment upon their conduct or take any penal
action against the Officers of UT Administration/Municipal Corporation,
Chandigarh, we deem it appropriate to direct the Secretary, Transport, UT,
Chandigarh and Commissioner, Municipal Corporation, Chandigarh to remain
present in Court on the date fixed and give explanation for the conduct
bordering contempt of Court proceedings.

[3]. The persistent in-action and casual approach of the States of Punjab
and Haryana is also quite disappointing. We are afraid if the Authorities
continue to exhibit such like irresponsible attitude towards the directions
issued from time to time, *we may have to summon the Chief Secretaries of
two States to ensure the meticulous compliance*. As of now, we grant one
more but last opportunity to the Principal Secretaries/ Secretaries,
Transport Department, Punjab and Haryana to take necessary remedial
measures and file respective status reports. They shall remain present in
Court on the next date of hearing.

List on 29.11.2013.

[ SURYA KANT ]
JUDGE