[sustran] Soon, vestibule AC buses for metros

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Fri May 31 02:48:52 JST 2013

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Soon-vestibule-AC-buses-for-metros/articleshow/20340748.cms

*Soon, vestibule AC buses for metros*
Dipak Kumar Dash, TNN | May 30, 2013, 03.58 AM IST
62
comments

An articulated bus is usually of single-deck design and comprises two rigid
sections linked by a pivoting joint and can carry nearly 150 passengers
each.

NEW DELHI: Metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and other major urban areas
which have dedicated corridors for buses will soon see the debut of
articulated buses ( double buses). The Union urban development ministry has
proposed to introduce these buses to attract passengers to use public
transport.

An articulated bus is usually of single-deck design and comprises two rigid
sections linked by a pivoting joint. Each of these buses can carry nearly
150 passengers. These buses are popular in other parts of the world. "We
have proposed to introduce these buses on an experiment basis and these
will be a part of our scheme to provide buses to cities and small towns in
the second phase of JNNURM," a senior UD ministry official said. These will
be AC buses.

Sources said there was also a proposal to introduce hybrid buses (battery
operated) in some cities to promote green technology in public transport.
These buses can cover about 200 km after the batteries are charged fully.
"We are looking at providing different types of buses keeping in mind the
requirement of cities and towns. We have proposed midi, mini and normal
buses. Since articulated buses need more road space and better road
geometry for maneuvering, city authorities will have to take a call on
which routes these vehicles will run," an official said.

These are part of a comprehensive proposal to provide 10,000 buses under
JNNURM-II to cities and small towns, particularly in hilly states. The
ministry is seeking approval of the expenditure finance committee (EFC).
Finance minister P Chidambaram had announced providing these buses to
states during his budget speech. Sources said the UD ministry has already
asked states to send their detailed demand for buses and it aims to finish
the sanction process by September.

Meanwhile, learning from the experiences of hundreds of low floor AC buses
breaking down in Delhi, the UD ministry has directed manufacturers to
improve their future fleets. "The manufacturers have assured us that they
will come out with good products. They told us that since it was a
first-time experience for them to supply low floor AC buses in Delhi, there
were some glitches. We have also asked the manufacturers to train four
drivers per bus that they sell to government so that we have enough trained
drivers," a ministry official said.