[sustran] Indore BRT: iBus

Prashanth Bachu pbachu at embarqindia.org
Wed May 22 21:14:10 JST 2013

I have been a vocal supporter of public transport for most part of my adult
life. Living in the quite suburb of Hyderabad, I have enjoyed walking for
miles. When I moved to Indore a little over 2 years ago, the state of
public transport and pedestrian facilities were such that I opted for
buying a car, which I used daily, for the 1.2 km commute to work.

The iBus, the Indore Bus Rapid Transit service (www.facebook.com/IndoreBRT)
was opened for public on a trial basis on 10th May 2013, with just 5 hours
of operations per day. In the dozen days since the launch, I just realized,
that I used the bus or walked to work on four days, which is 45% shift
considering I was not in town for 3 days in-between. As an Urban transport
planner, the strong correlation between good public transport system and
its transport mode share is common knowledge, but the transition happening
so unconsciously has come to me as a surprise.

I am sure that many other people residing and working along-side AB Road
corridor are realizing the same thing. The trials have been very popular
and negativity in the media has subsided. However, that is just one step
along a long path ahead. With a cautious optimism, I hope and wish that
iBus will transform the transport scenario for Indore and sets the vision
for the rest of the country.

*Prashanth Bachu*

*Project Manager - Urban Transport*

*EMBARQ India*****
1st Floor, Godrej & Boyce Premises, Gasworks Lane, Lalbaug, Parel, Mumbai
400012

pbachu at embarqindia.org | +91 8305696456

Blog: TheCityFix.com <http://thecityfix.com/> | Twitter: @EMBARQIndia
<https://twitter.com/EMBARQIndia> |
Facebook.com/EMBARQIndia<http://facebook.com/EMBARQIndia>
****

****

www.EMBARQIndia.org <http://www.embarqindia.org/>****

www.WRI.org <http://www.wri.org/>****

****

EMBARQ helps cities make sustainable transport a reality.