[sustran] Chandigarh Ecocabs : Community based dial-a-rickshaw facility in Chandigarh launched

Asija, Navdeep navdeep.asija at gmail.com
Fri May 17 04:46:19 JST 2013

Today on the occasion of World Telecommunication and Information Society
Day 2013, we are delighted to launch the first phase of our “Chandigarh
Ecocabs - Dial a Rickshaw” project. As per 2011 census, out of the total
228276 household in Chandigarh, 59975 households have cars but
interestingly 142853 have mobile phones. Real time infrastructure is 3
times compared with private transportation infrastructure. So, if you don’t
own a car, you don’t need to worry, our chauffeur driven cycle rickshaw
would come to your doorstep. All you need to do is go to website or
download android app, select your sector and chose your favorite rickshaw
pilot to call at doorstep. This is how you can reduce the traffic burden of
private vehicles and can help city to breath and move safely.

Phase – I : Since we are developing sector wise reliable rickshaw pilot’s
database and we need your volunteer support for that. Visit our website,
recommend us the name and phone number of your favorite rickshaw pilot
operating in your neighborhood to us. We will verify and in the month of
June, with the network of reliable rickshaw pilots, we will launch dial a
rickshaw facility across the city. At present dial-a-rickshaw facility in
limited sectors is available. Rickshaw Pilots recommended by women would be
rated as star pilot. Please visit our site and be the part of this green
venture. Your simple one click can make a difference. Let’s come forward to
save the natural environment of this city for present and future
generations and be the part of this grand community initiative.

Visit us at: http://chandigarh.ecocabs.org/

About 25,000 cycle rickshaws are operational in the Chandigarh area,
transporting 5 lakh passengers per day, and thus saving estimated 75,000
litres of fuel.
114 tones of fresh air would be required to burn that fuel, otherwise.