[sustran] Re: SLoCaT Status Report on Rio+20 Sustainable Transport Voluntary Commitments

ashok datar datar.ashok at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 15:15:42 JST 2013

comments by Morten Lange are very appropriate and it is important that we
must always consider right and just place for active transportation ( a
much better word) together with TDM ,
 It is not possible to allow the active trans to achieve its natural place
in different cities and countries unless it is accompanied with appropriate
doses of TDM . It is the carrot and stick approach that can work. Every
country or city can apply the appropriate combination of measures from both
sides
for e.g. we can provide free bike parking and bike lanes together with
buses/trains alongwith restricted and expensive parking , bus lanes, and
transfer of funds from the users of cars to the users of sustainable modes
thru fees, taxes which reflect the cost of pollution, congestion and
capital cost for car sustaining infra structure
somehow I notice that TDM is never getting place alongwith and as an
essential part of sustainable mobility.
if it means ( and it certainly) that there should be a significant
reduction in production of cars all over, it is not only to be tolerated
but also encouraged and think what else can take place in its place  so
that we dont lament the loss of jobs and revenue from this major industrial
and economic machine - the manufacture and use of cars .
I guess there is a fear that it will lead to the reduction of car manuf and
doesnt it provide jobs - directly and indirectly thru the manufacture of
parts etc - to several thousands of people. It is time to think that this
broader restructuring of economy is much desirable and not just tolerable
ashok datar

--
Ashok R. Datar
Mumbai Environmental Social Network (MESN) &