[sustran] Re: Jakarta plans "Odds and Evens" license plate traffic rationing

Anjali Mahendra amahendra at embarqindia.org
Wed Jan 16 03:35:38 JST 2013

Hello all,

I'm late to this discussion, but Carlos, Lloyd, and Cornie have already
made some of the points I wanted to bring up, about:

-          Evidence available from Mexico City regarding purchases of
older, more polluting vehicles to get around the Hoy No Circula restriction
(to Cornie’s point)

-          The fact that Bogotá does switch around the numbers under the
Pico y Placa scheme and restricts 4 numbers a day (to Lloyd’s point); and

-          Really, such bans on vehicle circulation are not effective *in
the long term *-- even if congestion does perceptibly reduce on weekdays
when the bans are in effect and gets worse on weekends, as in Mexico City.
As Cornie and others have said, to manage the growth and use of private
vehicles more effectively, some mix of quotas, parking pricing, and
congestion pricing (if feasible) must be considered.  Of course, the
revenues can be a handy funding source for public transport maintenance and
improvement.

Todd laid out a useful list of references to which I’d like to add this
paper from 2008:

Mahendra, Anjali. (2008). *Vehicle Restrictions in Four Latin American
Cities: Is Congestion Pricing Possible?* Transport Reviews, Volume 28,
Issue 1, pp 105-133.

In it, I explored the possibility of replacing the vehicle restrictions in
four Latin American cities (Bogotá, São Paulo, Mexico City, and Santiago)
with congestion pricing, and surveyed experts in each city about the idea.
I can send a PDF to anyone who’d like to see it.  The above issues are
discussed in detail in the paper.

Carlos, you mentioned that you are currently evaluating the schemes in
several Latin American cities; so you might find this useful.

Regards,
Anjali

------

Anjali Mahendra, Ph.D.