[sustran] Re: Direct vs connective networks again (was Re: Thinking Outside the Bus)

Dr Adhiraj Joglekar adhiraj.joglekar at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 2 20:20:16 JST 2013

I give a user perspective. The attached documents compiled a while ago show
my bias for -

   1. Reducing route numbers
   2. Doing away with the concept of feeder - trunk routes
   3. The above possible only when each trunk route rather than terminate
   at either end of the so called trunk instead becomes a short feeder itself.
   4. This means its a modified hub-spoke where buses do not terminate at
   the hub but will traverse through one.
   5. There is no point in plethora of short routes with ridiculously low
   frequency. This applies to feeders as well especially if eventually I am
   going to have spend further time for a transfer.
   6. It is wrong to assume trunk routes are those which serve wide roads.
   7. It is also wrong to assume that when someone transfers at a trunk
   route they will travel from one end of the trunk to the other. Most
   actually will end up getting off within few kilometers and very likely end
   up needing another so called feeder!! 2 transfers people may accept, but
   add another one and it stops working for most.

Adhiraj