[sustran] "Travel-Time Budget" for Twitter et al

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Oct 24 20:15:41 JST 2012

Remember Yacov Zahavi of the World Bank and famous his "Travel-Time Budget"?
In a nutshell it read like this: The research showed that

a) most of the world spends about an hour a day in travel
b) most commutes are under half an hour, and
c) Families spend about 12-15% of their disposable income for mobility.

What's the point in our present discussion context?  Well, it's a question
really.

As we talk about time spent/misspent with things that on the surface are
supposed (at least in part) to be useful -- such as Twitter, Facebook, et al
-- do we in fact have, individually and as groups, our own Time Budget for
these kinds of "information commuting" activities.

>From a personal point of view I may be protected because I put a high value
(?!) on my personal time, to which I can add a pretty low threshold for
wasting my time.  So I think personally I am OK.  Thus far.

But back to Zahavi, which is far more interesting than my personal case:
There must be analysts who are working with this, and it would be
interesting to know a bit more about them.  It can be argued that the social
media are themselves a form of mobility.

In the meantime I muddle on and post this reflection to Facebook, Twitter
and one or two other hopefully somewhat efficient places..