[sustran] Re: Fare Policies for Taxi Services

Akshay Mani amani at embarqindia.org
Wed May 2 21:26:41 JST 2012

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for your inputs.  What I gather from your inputs is that its
difficult to come up with a set of best practices on price regulation,
given the nature of the taxi/auto-rickshaw markets, and too many factors in
play.

Perhaps understanding the kinds of fare policies that are in place in taxi
markets across different cities, and what Indian cities can learn from
them, would serve better, compared to developing a set of best practices.
 This is what I wanted to understand actually, but I wrongly stressed on
best-practices in my earlier

To answer Eric's earlier comment:  Interestingly, a regulated fare system
in Mumbai for auto-rickshaws and taxis seems to be working well compared to
other cities.  I think it has to correlate in the end with how the supply
and demand match up.  Cities with under-supply (which is also an outcome of
regulation) clearly face challenges in terms of consumers not getting
services at the government regulated fares.  So it seems that the
effectiveness of fare regulation is tied to entry controls in the market as
well.

Thanks again...
Akshay