[sustran] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Death Row of Urban Highways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 05:59:50 JST 2012

Do take a look at these three articles describing how building massive
highways through cities caused severe destruction and environmental damage.
These mistakes are now being corrected by demolishing these monsters. But
in the developing cities we are bent on repeating these mistakes even when
we (should) know better.

Can we build enough public pressure to stop this madness in our cities and
in the process save millions that are needed for other more urgent needs of
the city.

Thanks to Ashwin Hegde of Bangalore for sharing this link.

--
Sujit

Even in the early years of America's highway construction craze, a few
people recognized the folly of placing major roads through the hearts of
cities. In her 1970 book *Superhighways - Superhoax*, Helen Leavitt
famously wrote that Dwight Eisenhower, the president who signed the
Interstate Highway Act into law, didn't realize these roads would run
through downtown districts until he saw construction of Interstate 95 in
Washington, D.C. Officials looked into relocating the system's urban
highways, but by then it was too late.

We now know what they didn't in Eisenhower's day: it's possible to remove
highways from city centers without ruining either the city or the highway.
In fact, both can emerge stronger than before, as they did when Embarcadero
Freeway in San Francisco<http://%20http//www.cnu.org/highways/sfembarcadero>
was
replaced with an inviting waterfront boulevard. Many other cities now hope
to duplicate that success. Earlier this fall the Urban Land Institute released
a list<http://urbanland.uli.org/Articles/2011/September/SpivakTopTenHighway> of
ten urban highways whose days are numbered. Many of these usual suspects
have appeared on similar
lists<http://www.cnu.org/highways/freewayswithoutfutures2010#1>
released
by the Congress for the New Urbanism over the past few years. Moving east
to west across the country, here's a look at ten roads that may not be
cutting through cities much longer, as well as some of the plans that might
replace them.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2011/11/death-row-urban-highways/411/#slide1

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/02/death-row-urban-highways-part-2/1170/

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/03/death-row-urban-highways-part-3/1471/

*[image: Inline image 1]
*

*Parisar*

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Blog: http://motif.posterous.com/
Parisar: www.parisar.org