[sustran] Is JNNURM about Inclusive Development?

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:39:10 JST 2012

http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/?p=972

Is JNNURM about Inclusive
Development?<http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/?p=972>
BY PRATHIMA MANOHAR – MARCH 17, 2012*POSTED IN: *POLICY &
REGULATION<http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/?cat=61>

Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
<http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=jnnurm&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjnnurm.nic.in%2F&ei=drJgT8qbFoXg0QHt_8WrBw&usg=AFQjCNFbEQePk9NA9jNc8p_lv7t1pti0Bw>is
a flagship city redevelopment program that was launched by the Government
of India in 2006. The Mission is the largest initiative of Government of
India for planned development of Indian cities.

*Prime Minister* *Dr. Manmohan Singh had highlighted on the need to
increase quality of life in India cities while launching the
program<http://jnnurm.nic.in/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Prime-Ministers-Office.htm>
* “As we build infrastructure we must also improve the *quality of
living* *for all those
who live in our cities*. Our vision of urban development has so far been
uni-dimensional. This must change. We have thus far focused more on space
and less on people. We need to have an integrated framework, in which
spatial development of cities goes hand-in-hand with* improvement in the
quality of living of ordinary people living there*. ”. Kamal Nath , the new
Union Cabinet Minister of Urban Development also recently highlighted that
the JNNURM  <http://jnnurm.nic.in/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/UDM.pdf>Program
is focused on  *improving the quality of life in our cities*.

To corroborate the government’s assertions that the program is intended to
increase thequality of life for most of the people in Indian cities, I
analysed the program’s investments in the transport sector that intimately
affects the quality of life of ­­­the community.

The total number of projects in the transport sector approved by the
Government of India and related spending illustrates a focus on flyover &
road related projects that aids car users.

<http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/j-projs.jpg>

Source: JNNURM<http://jnnurm.nic.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Approved-projects-Sector-wise.pdf>

<http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/j-cost.jpg>

Source: JNNURM<http://jnnurm.nic.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Approved-projects-Sector-wise.pdf>

Mapping the above  investments alongside current “modes of transport” in
Indian Cities shows that even though car users are a minority in Indian
Cities, they are arguably the biggest beneficiaries under the JNNURM
Program.

<http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/urban-form-pie.jpg>

Source: *Traffic & Transportation Policies and Strategies in Urban Areas in
India,* *Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, New
Delhi*<http://urbanindia.nic.in/programme/ut/final_Report.pdf>

Principles of urban planning based on dense, walkable, mass transit driven
development are critical in ensuring a livable & inclusive
city.<http://beyondprofit.com/socially-inclusive-cities/> Experts
like Urbanist Enrique Penalosa have often argued
that<http://theurbanvision.com/multimedia/?p=27>
  <http://theurbanvision.com/multimedia/?p=27>” In developing-world cities,
most of people don’t have cars, so when you construct a good sidewalk, you
are constructing equality. A sidewalk is a symbol of equality” .

While I recognize that the road infrastructure is also used by Public Buses
and Intermediary Public Transport ( Like Taxi’s & Rickshaw’s) ,

I am still not comfortable with such a disproportional magnitude of
spending on an infrastructure that will push exclusive Auto Centric
Development <http://www.theurbanvision.com/blogs/?p=81>.

*So I conclude that the Indian government’s declarations that JNNURM is
aimed at increasing the quality of life for most of its people seems like a
populist rhetoric given that their actual  investments show a penchant to
serving elite needs.*