Re: [sustran] Skyway proposal ‘mind-boggling,’ says rival firm

Cornie Huizenga cornie.huizenga at slocatpartnership.org
Mon Mar 5 11:43:16 JST 2012

Hi Bert,

Good to hear that civil society is concerned about this. A few thoughts
from my side on dialogs etc:

   - I think that it would be best for private sector to remain above the
   parties for the time being - getting involved in discussions with private
   sector developers brings the risk that you start discussing on their terms
   and the danger is that you just make a bad thing a little bit less worse;
   - Create support from high level public figures;
   - List, and remind government of, all public statements in favor of
   public transport e.g. National EST strategy, agreeing to Bangkok 2020
   Declaration. The fact that 70% of trips are by public transport is very
   significant - a large part of this tricycle, jeepney etc will never be
   allowed on an elevated highway;
   - Invite ADB and WB to consultation events and the make use of the
   quotes they make there - I doubt that they would come out against the
   project if you ask them for a quote;
   - Right from the beginning challenge the economic underpinning and
   time-line of the project and refer to earlier projects which were not
   delivered on time and certainly not at cost;
   - Make certain that you have a comprehensive alternative

best regards,

Cornie

cornie.huizenga at slocatpartnership.org
www.slocat.net